Add to Favorites  

Cartoon Dolls Community  - Doll forums and doll maker discussion boards Cartoon Dolls Community  - Doll forums and doll maker discussion boards Visit The Doll Palace - Where Cartoon Dolls Live

Doll Creation Post your own doll creations and show your skills to cartoon doll community

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Miss_TDP_Committee (Offline)
Bonita

Rating: 3 Votes / 5.00 Average
Default Miss TDP-Dollmaker Round One! - 06-17-2009, 12:36 PM

Welcome to the first ever Miss TDP competition! Before continuing to the theme for round one, we ask that all members read the following rules and procedures if they are competing. The following members are competing in this competition and are the only ones allowed to post here:
  • XxXCookies_R_MineXxX
  • Catlover642
  • KaraKupkakex
  • iluvdolphin6
  • jordanashley
  • antimaie
  • booni_monkey
  • xNicole
  • merry555
  • donettetalbot281
  • Aussiemum777
  • prin367cess
  • Heva_Banana_Mad
THIS IS NOT A DISCUSSION THREAD NOR IS IT THE PLACE TO SUBMIT HANDDRAWN DOLLS! Before you post here, I suggest you stop. All non-entry posts will be deleted. If you have questions, direct them to Silver_Wolf_Kitty. If you want to discuss the contest, the official Miss TDP clique(found here) is suggested.

Rules
1. Character. When entering Miss TDP, you need to enter with one character and stay with it the entire time. This means that your doll’s hair, eye, and skin colour must remain the same throughout, unless otherwise stated in the round theme.
2. Base. You must use the same base set throughout, so pick one with a variety of poses. This base should also be medium in size for handdrawn dollers (comparable in size to the "Moe" bases here: DHF : Doll on the Hill Factory). Dollmaker users should use the shuni style base.
3. Theft. No stealing the work of another. This applies to both handdrawn and dollmaker participants, so do not submit a doll that someone else made or, for handdrawn dollers, mix and match pieces of completed dolls that are not your own. All work should be original and failure to comply will result in disqualification.
4. Props. Props and backgrounds are encouraged, but should not be massive. We will ask too large of entries to reduce their size, so be reasonable.
5. Transparency. We ask that all dolls have transparent background and is a GIF file. If you don’t know how to do this, see the following thread: How to Make Backgrounds Transparent
6. Forbidden. Sexually explicit, nudity(artistic nudity must be okayed first by Silver_Wolf_Kitty), or overly bloody dolls are forbidden. Entering one could result in disqualification.
7. Theme. Every doll should relate to the theme. While we encourage creativity, failure to keep with the theme can get you eliminated automatically that round.
8. Judges. No one is allowed to use friendship or promises to sway a judge’s decision. Threats, bribery, and attempts to interfere or discover the judge’s decisions in anyway will result in disqualification. Arguing with the judges can result in an automatic elimination.
9. Competing. You can only submit one entry for each cometition, so choose wisely. The rules are being changed to allow crossover, but we ask that handdrawn dollers stick to the dollmakers if they are inclined to compete in that arena.
10. Animation. Animation is forbidden in the competition. We understand that many users like glitter, blinking, etc, but it takes away from the creativity and creates an unequal playing field for those who can’t animate.

Procedures
The audition round procedures are no longer in place, these are the procedures that will be followed in the future.

1. Participants enter a doll every two weeks in the set thread. They may enter it sooner, however further edits are not allowed after the doll is entered. No matter what, the two weeks are a guaranteed time slot(unless all entries are received before it).
2. Any participants who fail to meet this deadline will be eliminated. Deadlines are not being extended for anyone, so do not ask. Special extensions may be asked in the event of a long trip or medical/family emergency, but you must contact Silver_Wolf_Kitty immediately if this occurs.
3. After two weeks, the judges will then provide critique on each entry and select a bottom two for the round.
4. Several days are given for voting on who should stay. Voting will be a public affair, but you shouldn’t worry about hurting feelings. All you have to do is post in the voting thread with the name of the participant who you think should stay in the competition. You may provide an explanation, but that is up to you.
5. Votes are counted and the bottom participant is eliminated, then the next round begins.

Theme
The theme for round one is “Fairytale Makeover”. Pick out a fairytale, be it the generic "Cinderella", "Snow White", etc or something more obscure, and then make over the styles of a character, such as adapting it into a modern outfit. Do not use generic outfits, but make sure your character is recognizable (ex: using the same colours) and remember to identify the character you chose. For this round only you are allowed to change the hair colour of your character.

When your doll is ready, we ask participants to post their dollmaker doll in this thread. Round one will close the evening of July 1st! After that, the judges will submit their critiques and then public voting of the bottom two for the round will begin.

Questions

Are you looking for a place to discuss the Miss TDP Competition? Try the Official Miss TDP Clique!

Last edited by Silver_Wolf_Kitty : 07-07-2009 at 10:40 PM. Reason: Updated Usernames
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
(#2 (permalink))
Old
iluvdolphin6 (Offline)
Shuni

Zodiac Sign: Pisces
Rating: 2 Votes / 5.00 Average
Default 06-17-2009, 07:27 PM

ok...this is a modern looking Snow White. on the original Snow White, she wears a long puffy dress. instead, i have pants and a shirt. it keeps the same colors. blue and red on the top, and instead of a skirt, i made her wearing yellow pants because on the original the bottom her dress is yellow. XD

Judges' Critique
This doll was almost put together well. I can see only a few base pixels that were not covered by the shirt she was wearing. I like that you gave the quietest princess an attitude, lol! I'm not a fan of the blob heels though, and some backgrounds/props could have made this cute doll a great doll.
.:*LancasterPrincess*:.

This is a really good doll, but the white background takes away from it. I recommend using iaza, but make sure the background is a different colour than anything else on your doll so it doesn't end up transparent, too. Also, the green outline on the pants would've looked better substituted with a darker yellow/gold, especially with the white background.
-Xx_Pixie_Dust_Dispenser_xX

It's weird how you say that you hate the guy who broke your heart.. but when he runs back to you, your arms are wide open..

Last edited by Silver_Wolf_Kitty : 07-16-2009 at 10:29 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
(#3 (permalink))
Old
jordanashley (Offline)
Shuni

Rating: 6 Votes / 4.33 Average
Default 06-17-2009, 09:09 PM

Since I absolutly love the Disney movie Beauty and the Beast, I just had to make Belle for this. Beauty and the Beast is a fairytale, right? I thought so...I even asked my mom to make sure. ^_^
Here it is:

A picture of Belle that I found I thought was a neat idea to make a modern version of, so I'm also including the picture that I used to help me (Click here for it). In the picture of Belle, she's wearing a yellow dress with her hair in a nice ponytail and is walking down the castle staircase. For my doll, she's wearing a yellow shirt and skirt (or I guess it could even be a mini dress, but while making the doll I used a shirt and skirt) that look similar to Belle's dress and some flats (instead of high heels), and instead of Belle's ponytail, my doll has curly brown hair with the little "bump" on top (just to make it more modern). She's even walking down what I guess looks like a modern staircase (maybe a more fancy-ish one XD).

Judges' Critique
First off, I'd like to say I love how sassy she is comming down the stairs! The doll is well put together and the props work nicely! I do think that the yellow is a bit bright, but other than that it's a great doll!

This doll was really pretty with the hair, the shirt, the skirt and the background, but the shoes weren't so great. They were just one solid colour and to me they kind of looked like slippers. It can be hard to shade with yellow as it's hard to see but it would look nicer then just one colour. I also think they were a bit big, but they weren't too bad.

Last edited by Silver_Wolf_Kitty : 07-16-2009 at 10:30 PM.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Kiwi_Kat (Offline)
Shuni

Zodiac Sign: Pisces
Rating: Not Rated
Default 06-22-2009, 07:19 PM

My doll for the contest!

It's Aurora from Sleeping Beauty. Two of the faries were always arguing about the color ogf thing for the princess, thus the different colors.

Judges' Critique
I think overall the doll is a cute clash of the color war that rages on in Sleeping Beauty.
But I'm a little off-set on the choice of the shade of blue and the base.
I do like the streaks of color in her hair though! It makes it look like Flora and Merryweather got even more out of hand then they had in the movie!

It was nice, but maybe try shading the dress and the hair streaks next time, because it looks like the coloured streaks are part of the dress where they meet the same colour. The dress would look less plain with proper shading, or any shading. The thought bubbles were cute, too. Also with the border, where the different colours meet, try to make it a straight line so it doesn't look so choppy.

NO SLEEP IN HEAVEN OR BETHLEHEM
"I feel you breathing... Everywhere...The rain, the hay... please. Please Wendela."

Last edited by Silver_Wolf_Kitty : 07-16-2009 at 10:31 PM.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
antimaie (Offline)
Hand Drawn

Rating: 12 Votes / 3.83 Average
Send a message via AIM to antimaie Send a message via Yahoo to antimaie
Default 06-22-2009, 07:58 PM

Cookies, It's Aurora, it's my sister's name. xD

Character: Naomi
Fairytale character: Ariel from The Little Mermaid.
Tis my favorite movie, so yeah. ^U^

Judges' Critique
I love that you kept the character's physical appearance in mind! That's the exact shade of red hair, it even has her cute little side swept bangs, and you were sure to keep her brilliant blue eyes! So well done on that!
The only thing that I noticed was that the pants didn't quite reach the shirt and that they may have been a little too short for the doll's overall size.

This was another one of my favourites. Her hair turned out nice, especially with the flower. Her pants are a nice colour too, did you make them yourself? They are positioned kind of like her tail would be, to me anyway. The only thing is her arms, they don't match. It doesn't look bad, but one is up a bit farther than the other and it can look awkward, unless the doll is on an angle. And since she is facing forward, the one on the right looks a bit off.

baby, you got me. ♥

Last edited by Silver_Wolf_Kitty : 07-16-2009 at 10:33 PM.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
Catlover642 (Offline)
Hand Drawn

Zodiac Sign: Leo
Rating: 11 Votes / 4.09 Average
Default 06-22-2009, 10:59 PM

Character: Diandra
Fairytale Character: Wendy from Peter Pan

To modernize this outfit, I kept the basic color for Wendy's outfit, blue, and darkened it, and I made her dress into a skirt, shirt, and a shrug. The way I make her shoes more modern is that I picked ones that look more like high heels, since Wendy wears flats in the movie. I changed her bow into a headband. I've adapted her simple plain style into one with a bit more style and edge, but I still kept it cute and didn't go over the top.

Judges' Critique
I think this is a perfect wardrobe change for Wendy! It's got her color down-pat, and accessories in all the right places! It does seem to need a little bit more though. A windowsill or star would have been a nice addition.

This one was cute, but I thought it looked a bit too much like the old Wendy outfit wise. I know it's been changed up, but maybe pants instead of a skirt would've made it look a bit more different.

Last edited by Silver_Wolf_Kitty : 07-16-2009 at 10:35 PM.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
Heva_Banana_Mad (Offline)
Candybar

Zodiac Sign: Sagittarius
Rating: 2 Votes / 5.00 Average
Default 06-30-2009, 04:19 PM

I did Cinderella. If you look really closely on the path on the left hand side you can see her shoe.
Character: Tammy
Fairytale character: Cinderella
Basically her dress is skimpier and she has muck higher heels and a few other things.
Clock pic from here:Google Image Result for http://wvs.topleftpixel.com/photos/big_ben_watched.jpg

Judges' Critique
I like the modern clock and party outfit you chose. And her hair looks like she partied all night long!
However, this doll is not put together very well. The clothes are hanging off the base and there are white pixels all around the doll.

This entry was good, just by looking at it you can tell it's Cinderella. I liked the dress, but it didn't fit well on the base. Not to be picky, but you can see parts of the base poking out from under it in some places and it can make the doll look rushed. There is also something black on her right arm that I'm not sure what it is. The clock was a good idea. Did you draw the shoes on yourself? They're good, but they don't match. The left one has an ankle strap and the right one doesn't, which can make them look like two different shoes.

Last edited by Silver_Wolf_Kitty : 07-16-2009 at 10:46 PM.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
Aussiemum777 (Offline)
TDP Greeter
Candybar

Rating: 6 Votes / 4.83 Average
Default My Fairytale Entry - 07-07-2009, 08:24 AM

Fairytale Character:Cinderella
Character Name: Ebony (with blonde hair)
Personal maker used: PURRRFECTION

Cinderella is really bored and has just hailed a carriage to go to a party..she texted the handsome prince and told him she is going to her ugly sisters house for the night!..............He believed her of course!

Judges' Critique
I love how she turned out! And the story that went with it was great. The doll is well put together and the props work nicely with the entry. My only issue is that there's no hint of a glass slipper, just some boring black flats (even thought they tie in nicely with the belt and trim of the dress).

I really liked this one because you didn't describe what the original Cinderella looks like and how she changed it up,(like the other members did with their entries, not that that's a bad thing) you told us about what the doll was doing, which was very creative! She still resembled Cinderella, but it was really modernized and different. The carriage was a good add in, but maybe it could've been something different, like a car?
-Xx_Pixie_Dust_Dispenser

Last edited by Silver_Wolf_Kitty : 07-16-2009 at 10:48 PM.
(#9 (permalink))
Old
donettetalbott281

Default Sorry for the delay! - 07-10-2009, 05:43 PM

Here is my entry

Judges' Critique
First off, I'd like to say I adore her new 80's look (That's what you were going for right?). Aside from that though I must also say that she is not one of your finer dolls. The shirt is a little too big for her and lack of props/background make her a bit bland.

I really like her hair. it goes well with the rest of the outfit. She looks like a Snow White ready to party in the shirt, skirt and heels. The only thing was a couple of spots in the hair that maybe should've been filled in. I know it's curly/wavy so there are going to be some spots, but they should be more toward the edges and not toward the middle. The only other thing was the hairbow, it just looked a tad messy.

Last edited by Silver_Wolf_Kitty : 07-16-2009 at 10:51 PM.
(#10 (permalink))
Old
KaraKupkakex (Offline)
Shuni

Zodiac Sign: Aquarius
Rating: 5 Votes / 2.60 Average
Send a message via MSN to KaraKupkakex
Default 07-08-2009, 09:20 AM

Here it is xD i didnt know whut to choose

sorry about the white backround, i didnt have time to get rid of it
Its thumbelina btw xD
Judges' Critique
I think this entry is very cute! I love the fantasy background and frame you chose, it works very nicely with the doll. The pose is cute and the doll is well put together. There seems to be a few white pixels from pasting the doll onto the background however and her lips are a little blotchy.
Other than those few very minor things I think it's a well-presented doll.

I didn't find that this entry resembled thumbelina much. I know this is a modernized version, but I think she should've kept thumbelina small. The doll looks too giant in that picture. Plus, thumbelina wore blue, not grey and black. And the white background and cut-off frame didn't look too good. I know you didn't have time, but it's good not to rush a doll and take your time so it looks it's best. It was a cute doll, though.

Last edited by Silver_Wolf_Kitty : 07-16-2009 at 10:50 PM.
Closed Thread