Add to Favorites  

Cartoon Dolls Community  - Doll forums and doll maker discussion boards Cartoon Dolls Community  - Doll forums and doll maker discussion boards Visit The Doll Palace - Where Cartoon Dolls Live

Doll Creation Post your own doll creations and show your skills to cartoon doll community

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Miss_TDP_Committee (Offline)
Bonita

Rating: 3 Votes / 5.00 Average
Default Miss TDP-Handdrawn Round One! - 06-17-2009, 01:30 PM

Welcome to the first ever Miss TDP competition! Before continuing to the theme for round one, we ask that all members read the following rules and procedures if they are competing. The following members are competing in this competition and are the only ones allowed to post here:
  • TheHayleyDoll
  • Silent_Wolf
  • Heva_Banana_Mad
  • antimaie
  • Aihana_
  • Elanorea
  • Aussiemum777
  • XxXCookies_R_MineXxX
THIS IS NOT A DISCUSSION THREAD NOR THE PLACE TO SUBMIT DOLLMAKER ENTRIES! Before you post here, I suggest you stop. All non-entry posts will be deleted. If you have questions, direct them to Silver_Wolf_Kitty. If you want to discuss the contest, the official Miss TDP clique(found here) is suggested.

Rules
1. Character. When entering Miss TDP, you need to enter with one character and stay with it the entire time. This means that your doll’s hair, eye, and skin colour must remain the same throughout, unless otherwise stated in the round theme.
2. Base. You must use the same base set throughout, so pick one with a variety of poses. This base should also be medium in size for handdrawn dollers (comparable in size to the "Moe" bases here: DHF : Doll on the Hill Factory). Dollmaker users should use the shuni style base.
3. Theft. No stealing the work of another. This applies to both handdrawn and dollmaker participants, so do not submit a doll that someone else made or, for handdrawn dollers, mix and match pieces of completed dolls that are not your own. All work should be original and failure to comply will result in disqualification.
4. Props. Props and backgrounds are encouraged, but should not be massive. We will ask too large of entries to reduce their size, so be reasonable.
5. Transparency. We ask that all dolls have transparent background and is a GIF file. If you don’t know how to do this, see the following thread: How to Make Backgrounds Transparent
6. Forbidden. Sexually explicit, nudity(artistic nudity must be okayed first by Silver_Wolf_Kitty), or overly bloody dolls are forbidden. Entering one could result in disqualification.
7. Theme. Every doll should relate to the theme. While we encourage creativity, failure to keep with the theme can get you eliminated automatically that round.
8. Judges. No one is allowed to use friendship or promises to sway a judge’s decision. Threats, bribery, and attempts to interfere or discover the judge’s decisions in anyway will result in disqualification. Arguing with the judges can result in an automatic elimination.
9. Competing. You can only submit one entry for each cometition, so choose wisely. The rules are being changed to allow crossover, but we ask that handdrawn dollers stick to the dollmakers if they are inclined to compete in that arena.
10. Animation. Animation is forbidden in the competition. We understand that many users like glitter, blinking, etc, but it takes away from the creativity and creates an unequal playing field for those who can’t animate.

Procedures
The audition round procedures are no longer in place, these are the procedures that will be followed in the future.

1. Participants enter a doll every two weeks in the set thread. They may enter it sooner, however further edits are not allowed after the doll is entered. No matter what, the two weeks are a guaranteed time slot(unless all entries are received before it).
2. Any participants who fail to meet this deadline will be eliminated. Deadlines are not being extended for anyone, so do not ask. Special extensions may be asked in the event of a long trip or medical/family emergency, but you must contact Silver_Wolf_Kitty immediately if this occurs.
3. After two weeks, the judges will then provide critique on each entry and select a bottom two for the round.
4. Several days are given for voting on who should stay. Voting will be a public affair, but you shouldn’t worry about hurting feelings. All you have to do is post in the voting thread with the name of the participant who you think should stay in the competition. You may provide an explanation, but that is up to you.
5. Votes are counted and the bottom participant is eliminated, then the next round begins.

Theme
The theme for round one is “Fairytale Makeover”. Pick out a fairytale, be it the generic "Cinderella", "Snow White", etc or something more obscure, and then make over the styles of a character, such as adapting it into a modern outfit. Do not use generic outfits, but make sure your character is recognizable (ex: using the same colours) and remember to identify the character you chose. For this round only you are allowed to change the hair colour of your character.

When your doll is ready, we ask participants to post their handdrawn doll in this thread. Round one will close the evening of July 1st! After that, the judges will submit their critiques and then public voting of the bottom two for the round will begin.

Questions

Are you looking for a place to discuss the Miss TDP Competition? Try the Official Miss TDP Clique!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Silent_Wolf (Offline)
Forums Moderator

Zodiac Sign: Gemini
Rating: 18 Votes / 4.56 Average
Default 06-18-2009, 12:07 PM

Fairytale character: Ariel, The Little Mermaid (Does this work?)
Character: Saguna Alvin Nemo
Base: CCG (21) Fantasies , the Medley base as always.

Alvin and I are currently not speaking as a result of this doll, in case you're wondering why she looks so.. not amused. I had to yank her out of the shower to get ready and she's not very happy with me dying her hair red even though it's very temporary dye and will wash out next time she takes a shower. I included the dinglehopper (fork) as well.

Oddities aside, the colors in this that signify Ariel are the red hair, the purple shirt (as Ariel wore that purple shell bra), and the green shorts and sandals (green tail). The water was an accident. I swear. I was going for an 80's Casual look.

Judges' Critique
I love the hair. Its just soo...pretty(for a lack of words xD). The colour of the shirt is very pretty, but the actual colour was a bit darker, but with the darker toned skin, it works! I don't care for how wrinkly the shirt is but it doesn't look bad. The shorts and shoes work so well together. All in all, well done!
-singergirl509

I agree with singergirl509, the hair on this doll is beautiful. It has that tangled "I just got out of the water" feeling, which is amplified by the water and dinglehopper(which she used to comb her hair, for those who are unaware). The parting of her hair though is a bit too dark and would need to be readjusted. The clothing is tastefully cut and colored, but there are minor shading issues. Your creases are very... straight. There isn't really a curve to it, which would be appropriate since this appears to be a baggier shirt. This issue only seems to have happened in the waist of the doll since the rest of the shading is really quite excellent. Well done!
-Silver_Wolf_Kitty

I stare at the girl in the mirror: T-shirt, torn up jeans, no beauty queen.
But the way that you see me, you get underneath me, and all my defenses just fall away, fall away.
I am beautiful with you, even in the darkest part of me. I am beautiful with you;
Make it feel the way it's supposed to be!

You're here with me: Just show me this and I'll believe I am beautiful with you!
Halestorm

Last edited by Silver_Wolf_Kitty : 07-21-2009 at 10:34 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Aihana_ (Offline)
Hand Drawn

Zodiac Sign: Leo
Rating: 22 Votes / 4.45 Average
Send a message via AIM to Aihana_ Send a message via MSN to Aihana_
Default 06-25-2009, 02:11 AM

Fairytale Character: Snow White
Character: Kathleen
Base: Here.

Judges' Critique
Its good, but could have been better. Its too similar to the original idea. The only difference is the collar and the skirt length. Other than that, its the same. Its well put together and everything, just to unoriginal.
-singergirl509

I must say I'm disappointed. You weren't very original with this outfit and there was plenty of room to make it modern. The shortened skirt and adjusted neckline were a good step in the right direction, but this fell short. You could do a lot better, especially since this doll shows that you have skill. The color palettes were tasteful and the shaping of the dress was good. Toning down the yellow would've helped make the skirt blend better and the shaping of the hair could use a little more work(if you used a different hairstyle in the makeover, the shaping issues could've been avoided).
-silver_wolf_kitty

Last edited by Silver_Wolf_Kitty : 07-21-2009 at 10:40 PM.
(#4 (permalink))
Old
Elanorea (Offline)
Forums Moderator

Zodiac Sign: Cancer
Rating: 2 Votes / 5.00 Average
Send a message via MSN to Elanorea Send a message via Skype™ to Elanorea
Default 06-27-2009, 06:15 PM

Fairytale character: The swan princess from The Tale of Tsar Saltan
Character: Ashley Wells
Base: DHF

Link to story (this poem was written in 1831, but the actual story is older than that)

Unfortunately there weren't any good pictures of the princess, but I used these two lines of description:
"In her braids, a crescent beamed,
On her brow, a bright star gleamed"

The pattern on the top was loosely inspired by some pictures of Russian national dress, and the white feather bracelet symbolises the swan.

Judges' Critique
Very pretty. I love the star and crescent moon! The way you incorporated the sign of the swan on the bracelet and the russian background was brilliantly thought of!
-singergirl509

I'm glad you chose something other than the mainstream princesses. It served you well, allowing you much more freedom with this doll. You incorporated elements of the story really well. You should be proud of the beautiful shading on the crescent and star, as well as the lovely pattern on the shirt. The only thing that could improve the doll is possibly some shoes. While the barefoot look is good here, a simple pair of flats might've helped. Overall, I think this is the best entry yet.
-Silver_Wolf_Kitty

Last edited by Elanorea : 07-18-2011 at 06:59 PM.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Heva_Banana_Mad (Offline)
Candybar

Zodiac Sign: Sagittarius
Rating: 2 Votes / 5.00 Average
Default 06-28-2009, 06:26 AM

Fairytale character: Alice in wonderland
Character name: Lola
Base:DHF : Doll on the Hill Factory

Judges' Critique
A little plain. The hair is nicely done and looks amazing, but it seems like that is the part you mainly focused on. I can't tell whether the top is a shirt or dress but either way it looks so blah. The skin is light, so the top should have been a bit darker, as its hard to see the shirt. And I don't understand why the tights underneath are black instead of white. And with the neck being so exposed, you probably should've added a necklace or something there.
-singergirl509

Your concept here is nice, but you didn't fully develop it. I can definately see who this character is supposed to be, but some of your choices were a bit unusual. The black tights would've been better left out and instead exchanged for white ones(shading along the legs would be okay here as it adds a realistic look). Also, with such a low neckline, you should've considered a necklace of some kind. Shifting the buckle over a bit would've helped as would be some added shading since the shading fell a bit short.
-Silver_Wolf_Kitty

Last edited by Silver_Wolf_Kitty : 07-21-2009 at 10:52 PM.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
antimaie (Offline)
Hand Drawn

Rating: 12 Votes / 3.83 Average
Send a message via AIM to antimaie Send a message via Yahoo to antimaie
Default 06-28-2009, 02:28 PM

I apologize in advanced, I did Alice in Wonderland as well, not knowing that Heva had done so as well, so I apologize very greatly. If it's not okay to have two of the same characters, just tell me, and I guess I'll re-do it.

Name: Tiffany
Character: Alice in Wonderland.
Base: *DEAC loves you.

The blue vneck symbolizes Alice's dress, and the vest symbolizes her apron. Her stockings were incorperated with her light blue jeans, and her headband as the bow.

Judges' Critique
I love it!! Beautifully done. However, the white vest is kinda hard for me to see but it doesn't look bad. I would have done a belt or necklace/bracelet/etc. Other than that, very well done!
-singergirl509

This is a beautiful doll and the shading on it was done nicely. The white vest is a bit difficult to see and I agree with singergirl509 that a necklace would've done quite nicely to add a finishing touch. Your shading, while nice, could use a bit of a curve to it to really bring it up to the top. Keep up the excellent work.
-Silver_Wolf_Kitty

baby, you got me. ♥

Last edited by Silver_Wolf_Kitty : 07-21-2009 at 10:59 PM.
(#7 (permalink))
Old
TheHayleyDoll (Offline)
Forums Moderator

Zodiac Sign: Taurus
Rating: 46 Votes / 4.30 Average
Default 07-01-2009, 05:30 PM

Fairytale Character: Mad Hatter
Character: Mandy
Base: nicolabear on deviantART

Tada! The Mad Hatter makes me think crazy, so I gave her some funky patterns and a asymmetrical top. I have the 10/6 card thing in the hat, and the typical bow tie - which I didn't like blue (like the original), so I changed it into a patterned bow tie I could see The Mad Hatter wearing. I kept the green and (icky) yellow-ish colour combination. It's chic, and modern. She's The Mad Hatter 2.0. =D

Judges' Critique
OMG! Sooo cute and sooo you! I absolutely love the hat and boots. The shirt is pretty cool too but I would so buy the boots if they were real. Very creative! L-O-V-E IT!!
-singergirl509

I love this entry. You kept the attitude of the Mad Hatter very nicely, right down to his odd choices in clothing and the icky yellow. My only issue is the band around the top hat seems rounded for some reason(almost like its a snake curled around the hat, if you get that imagery). If you flattened the edges of the band to follow the flow of the hat, it would've improved your entry. Also, the palette for the icky yellow could use a little tweaking. Its a difficult color to work with though, so its expected.
-Silver_Wolf_Kitty

Last edited by Silver_Wolf_Kitty : 07-21-2009 at 11:07 PM.
(#8 (permalink))
Old
Aussiemum777 (Offline)
TDP Greeter
Candybar

Rating: 6 Votes / 4.83 Average
Red face Aussiemum777 - 07-07-2009, 08:10 AM

My Fairytale Entry!

:

Fairytale Character: The White Rabbit from "Alice In Wonderland"
Character Name: Gabriel
Base: Poupe-base by GigideMortimer by *GigideMortimer on deviantART

I didnt have much time to make her...Stoopid me was searching the wrong thread for this contest and nearly missed out..She is rushed but at least she is in!
I chose the The white rabbit cause I thought it would be fun to do, I have made her in a modern day clubbing outfit in the original colours red & yellow, I also included hearts, thats all I had time for this time.

Judges' Critique
Its ok, but I've definitely seen much better from you. The entire thing (besides the ears) looks like a paper doll. I know that's harsh but that's how it comes across. I don't understand why you put her in a club type dress as thats not what the white rabbit stood for. The ears and hair are the best part of the entire doll.
-singergirl509

This is an interesting doll, but I feel like I'm looking at two characters instead of one. I see the white rabbit in the ears, but this outfit seems to be screaming "Queen of Hearts!" You might've been better off choosing a sleek jeans and black jacket combo that would seem more like the white rabbit. The shading on the doll is good, though your curves shouldn't go up, they should go across or down. I am impressed with your work on the ears and hair, they look amazing.
-Silver_Wolf_Kitty

Last edited by Silver_Wolf_Kitty : 07-21-2009 at 11:11 PM.
Closed Thread