||12-17-2010 07:15 PM
I saw this recipe on MSN and am trying it out this weekend. It looks promising, so I figured I'd share it with you folks! Make sure to adjust the ingredient amounts since this makes more truffles than anyone here probably would eat.
Yields: 12 dozen truffles, Time: 5 hr, 45 min (mostly chill time)
- 1 quart(s) heavy cream
- 3 pound(s) bittersweet or semisweet chocolate, chopped
- 1 1/2 stick(s) cold unsalted butter, cut into tablespoons
- Pinch of salt
- 1 1/2 tablespoon(s) dark rum
- 4 teaspoon(s) pure peppermint oil
- 2 teaspoon(s) instant espresso dissolved in 2 teaspoons water
- 1 teaspoon(s) ground cardamom
- To make the ganache: In a large saucepan, bring the cream to a simmer. In a large bowl, combine the chopped chocolate with the butter and salt. Pour the hot cream over the chocolate. Let stand until the chocolate and butter are melted, about 5 minutes. Whisk the ganache until smooth and shiny.
- Divide the ganache into 4 bowls. To flavor it, add either the rum, peppermint oil, espresso, or cardamom to each batch. Cover the ganache and refrigerate until firm, about 3 hours.
- Line 3 large rimmed baking sheets with parchment paper. Using a 1-tablespoon-size ice cream scoop, drop level tablespoons of the ganache onto the baking sheets. Chill until firm, about 1 hour.
- Coat the truffles: Spoon the coatings into small bowls. Moisten your hands with ice water and roll the ganache into balls, then roll in the coatings. Package the truffles in decorative bags or boxes. The coated truffles can be refrigerated up to 3 days.
- Optional toppings that can be used for the coating: Finely crushed toffee bits, mint candies, pretzels, dehydrated raspberries, amaretti cookies, malted milk balls, chocolate cookies, finely chopped toasted almonds, chocolate covered espresso beans, toasted coconut, roasted salted peanuts, candied ginger, cinnamon-sugar, confectioners' sugar mixed with cocoa powder, and large pinch kosher salt.
Peppermint filling with powdered sugar, chocolate cookie crumbs or mint candies
Espresso filling with cinnamon-sugar, amaretti, or cocoa powder-salt mixture
Rum filling with coconut, candied ginger or toffee
Cardamom filling with cinnamon-sugar, amaretti or candied ginger
Plain chocolate filling with raspberry, malt balls or peanuts
Recipe from: Do-It-Yourself Truffles - Chocolate Ganache - Dessert Recipes - Delish.com