Cartoon Dolls Community  - Doll forums and doll maker discussion boards

Cartoon Dolls Community - Doll forums and doll maker discussion boards (http://www.thedollpalace.com/forum/)
-   Comments & Suggestions (http://www.thedollpalace.com/forum/comments-suggestions/)
-   -   Copyright Issues & Preferences (http://www.thedollpalace.com/forum/comments-suggestions/20835-copyright-issues-preferences.html)

LancasterPrincess 02-24-2009 02:31 AM

Copyright Issues & Preferences

Recently a few members have started new trends in the Personal dollmakers section. Skin tones, handrawn dresses for Shuni's, seperated pieces and much much more. The problem is that we expect credit, especially when we have signs posted in every catagory saying to do so. Problem is a lot of people don't give a rats a$s about the hours and hours of editing we provide for them. A very quick and easy way to fix this is to give Personal dollmaker owners an option. I think that there should be an option to set Personal Dollmakers to private, friends only or public. Everything else can be set to private/friends, why not this? Especially since this is a Copyright issue.

What do you think?

delly1 02-24-2009 02:48 AM

I agree. Well when I was premi anyways... Last day was today so I am now standard,but I totally agree with that being an exceptional idea.

Aussiemum777 02-24-2009 03:33 AM

I AGREE totally,
I have been a member for 7 years,
The personal makers are part of our premium memberships and thats just it! they are our "PERSONAL MAKERS" so we really should have the right to say who gets to use them, and have some sort of locking system, there is so much disrespect for the people who spend hours finding & editing the props that are in them, some of us actually pay for some of the clip art & graphics we use!
My maker is on the 1st page & has been there for some time....I am getting to the stage where I dont want anyone using it anymore, and I dont just speak for myself, I speak for many other members who want something done also.
But who is going to listen to me????
Please somebody do something about this,
Thanks

Silent_Wolf 02-24-2009 06:03 AM

Isn't there an option to make it so you are the only person who can use or see it?

LancasterPrincess 02-24-2009 10:29 AM

Nope, that's why we have issues, lol. Plus even if there was that option I'd like for my friends to be able to use it. I'm more for the "friends only" option while others would rather keep things to themselves, which is fine I mean its all personal preference really.

But that would be a start, why are you premi, do you know if there is one?

Aussiemum777 02-24-2009 06:22 PM

I am also for the friends only option, I would like to be able to choose who gets to look at and use my maker!

Silver_Wolf_Kitty 02-24-2009 06:41 PM

Maybe what needs to be done is an "Approved Members" view. Members could ask to view it through a button or something(just like the friends system on here), then you can approve or deny. That way you have complete control over who sees it, so if you don't want certain friends to or want it for one other person, you can. That should get around copyright issues.

Until this is resolved, I am going to give you all a big piece of advice that all handdrawn dollers use. Create a symbol and put it in the space around props(in a way that doesn't interfere). It marks it as yours in a way that is very common among dollers. I myself mark my work with a specially shaded pawprint and have never seen a copy. Its typical to use initials or symbols associated with you. Also, you can report anyone who steals your handdrawn props. Its harder to do with the typical palace props, but handdrawn ones can be asked to be removed. The helpdesk actually has a case then in comparison to the typical whining.

Be sure to pass on that information to others making these props. If things go really bad, you may need to remove them until something is done to keep your props safe from this. Its something that happens to all dollers, but I can understand being upset about this outright theft.

LancasterPrincess 02-24-2009 08:57 PM

I had thought about doing that...but it's a teeny bit too late. Since I've started I've aquired oh about 4-5 thousand edited items, so marking them all would take...forever! lol. And as for taking them offline that would have already been done if it weren't for some bad luck I had about half a year ago. My laptop went coput and with it went all of my copies of what's on my maker. So in order for me to still have all my stuff and take it offline I'd have to right-click save all my items which rounds off to about 8-9 thousand. Another feat that would take longer than forever.

I think from now on I'll start marking things with an invisable watermark, and wait it out until somethings done about all this, which I hope to goodness something IS done about this. Part of the reason why a lot of members become Premi is for the Personal makers, no one would want it if everyone took their makers down completely.

Incidently, I found a maker that has stolen quite a few of my images. Which brings me to another suggestion: All makers owners are automatically labled! Theres no way to flipping dm the person who owns the thing! I've looked through all of her catagories even her "Credit Me" or whatever catagory! It's either FunBun or Orii or someone else, I can't tell. The maker is called "Wonderland : )" and has smilies after each catagory name. If anyone here knows who it is could you please let me know. Whoever owns this maker has some real nerve because they credited a lot of people. And I say "nerve" because my maker tells people what to give me credit for specifically right in the catagory they see the items in! And we're talking a ton of items here in several catagories.

Please let me know, thanks.

Xx_Pixie_Dust_xX 02-25-2009 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LancasterPrincess (Post 809346)
I had thought about doing that...but it's a teeny bit too late. Since I've started I've aquired oh about 4-5 thousand edited items, so marking them all would take...forever! lol. And as for taking them offline that would have already been done if it weren't for some bad luck I had about half a year ago. My laptop went coput and with it went all of my copies of what's on my maker. So in order for me to still have all my stuff and take it offline I'd have to right-click save all my items which rounds off to about 8-9 thousand. Another feat that would take longer than forever.

I think from now on I'll start marking things with an invisable watermark, and wait it out until somethings done about all this, which I hope to goodness something IS done about this. Part of the reason why a lot of members become Premi is for the Personal makers, no one would want it if everyone took their makers down completely.

Incidently, I found a maker that has stolen quite a few of my images. Which brings me to another suggestion: All makers owners are automatically labled! Theres no way to flipping dm the person who owns the thing! I've looked through all of her catagories even her "Credit Me" or whatever catagory! It's either FunBun or Orii or someone else, I can't tell. The maker is called "Wonderland : )" and has smilies after each catagory name. If anyone here knows who it is could you please let me know. Whoever owns this maker has some real nerve because they credited a lot of people. And I say "nerve" because my maker tells people what to give me credit for specifically right in the catagory they see the items in! And we're talking a ton of items here in several catagories.

Please let me know, thanks.

The owner of that maker is Funbun. It says in the I Made/Edited category I think. (It's on a heart pic.)

LancasterPrincess 02-25-2009 05:41 PM

Thank you! I was confused because that heart pic was also in her credits to other people catagory!

I also have an important question! Mostly to the Moderators though!

Am I allowed to politely request (or tell them if necessarry) to either 1: Move any of my items that they have in their maker to their own catagory with a credit sign in the same catagory? And 2: Ask them to delete my items if they refuse?

Just to note: Any items I'm asking/talking about will be items that I have personally spent time editing/creating. I would never try to claim something that I did not create/edit.