Cartoon Dolls Community  - Doll forums and doll maker discussion boards

Cartoon Dolls Community - Doll forums and doll maker discussion boards (http://www.thedollpalace.com/forum/)
-   Comments & Suggestions (http://www.thedollpalace.com/forum/comments-suggestions/)
-   -   Low ratings on contests (http://www.thedollpalace.com/forum/comments-suggestions/19009-low-ratings-contests.html)

prin367cess 07-02-2008 10:14 PM

Low ratings on contests

I've been noticing this the past few days. People are rating all entries in a given contest extremely low, as reflected by the "winner" (highest rating) of the contest being only a 2.33 out of 5. Is anyone else noticing this?

Does this happen in phases or is this a new trend? I'm finding it very disappointing to see myself and other dollers put so much hard work into a doll, only for someone to go through and rate every doll a 1.

LancasterPrincess 07-03-2008 05:29 AM

I rate low when people deserve low ratings. I also rate extremely high on people who were voted unfairly.

The thing is that some people are cheaters, some people have nothing better to do but make other people crazy, and most people (like me) are just tough critics.

I'm not saying that it's me voting one's on everyone, but I have been through a few contests in the past where all the entries just were made very poorly. For example they were all put together crooked, or there was too much flashing (I hate flashing dolls that are likely to give someone a siezure:roll: ) or if they're thug/s.ex related:| .

It could be that people are just being mean or cheating, or it could also be that there was something that someone else noticed about the doll that the maker just didn't catch.

prin367cess 07-03-2008 07:59 AM

I can see what you're saying. I also rate low for poorly made entries, I'm not saying we shouldn't.

But there's something wrong when there are 15 entries, some of them very well-made, and the ratings range from 1.75 to 2.78 (taken from a contest I entered).

Silent_Wolf 07-03-2008 10:26 AM

Sometimes I honestly think there's cheating going on when that happens, maybe some users are having their friends vote low on all contests. I think the people who vote should be logged so the contest owner can see who it is, that way you guys could find out who it is that's rating so low.

prin367cess 07-03-2008 01:17 PM

That's what I'm worried about, the possibility of cheating. Finding a solution to curb cheating, on the other hand, is slightly more difficult.

Having votes logged would be helpful. Or if there was a setting to reset the vote, just like we can reset clicks, the contest owner could do that so that cheaters get discouraged.

Silent_Wolf 07-03-2008 01:21 PM

I think it's set so that people can only vote once, I could be wrong though. Would be nice if it was set that way, that way cheating would be nearly impossible unless they make multiple accounts... eek.

prin367cess 07-03-2008 03:20 PM

Well, it IS set so that each user can only vote once. But cheating is still possible if someone rates their own work a 5 and rates every other entry a 1.

LancasterPrincess 07-03-2008 05:17 PM

I see that a lot unfortunately... I tend to give myself one rate lower than I give others because I don't want people to think I'm cheating. Or if I see that someone voted a 5 on mine and the others are a little bit lower I rate them high and me a little lower. The whole voting system has me parinoid, I wish there was a way to prevent cheating period. Like only one vote per IP address so that even people with multiple accounts can't cheat.

WHiTELOvEx 07-03-2008 05:43 PM

Yes that would work, but they could get on a public computer, plus it would take some extra money with jessica, you COULD ask her.

prin367cess 07-03-2008 07:39 PM

Another idea is that users can't vote for their own entries.... I'm not going to lie, I like voting for my own entries. But I only vote if I am able to step outside myself and see the flaws in my own work. I think not being able to vote for our own entries would be sort of disappointing, but it might level the playing field a little more.