Cartoon Dolls Community  - Doll forums and doll maker discussion boards

Cartoon Dolls Community - Doll forums and doll maker discussion boards (http://www.thedollpalace.com/forum/)
-   Coding (http://www.thedollpalace.com/forum/coding/)
-   -   Ninique's Dollmaker Script (http://www.thedollpalace.com/forum/coding/22568-niniques-dollmaker-script.html)

Ninique 08-13-2010 09:20 PM

Ninique's Dollmaker Script

I've recently been dabbling into web coding and have created my own dollmaker script. I wanted to make one that was different from what is out there right now. My script uses tabs to separate all the different categories of props, and there's also an option to change the skintone of the base body.

I wrote it entirely myself, using the jQuery UI library. It also uses PHP to make it super easy to add new props to it, but there's also an option to use it without PHP.

You can see a demo here. Or see more information and download it here.

Please tell me what you think about it!

LancasterPrincess 08-13-2010 11:41 PM

Very good! I'm interested to see what more you can do with it!

Two things though: The mouse tool is slightly off. When I moved the skirt around and let go of the button it would move slightly and be off center. The other thing, that would fix the first thing, would be to add keyboard arrow capability...or add some arrow buttons to use underneath the dolling area?

Some suggestions that are purely just fun/ease based would be to:
*Add the no-right click coding so that people can't steal the pieces so easily.
*Add some glittering capabilities? I've yet to see someone make that script available for download yet. That's something I would pay for, seriously. :lol:
*Add some color-changing capabilities. This way there aren't 7 of the same piece, just in a different color.

Other than those few off bits the coding you created is fabulous! I hope you learn to do more and share with the dolling community again! :mrgreen:

Ninique 08-14-2010 03:45 PM

I'm not sure what you're talking about in terms of the mouse tool. It seemed fine in my testing. What browser/kind of computer are you using?

Otherwise, thanks for the suggestions. I'll take them into account for the next version :)

LancasterPrincess 08-14-2010 04:40 PM

When I go to build a doll I drag the items over using the mouse tool. You know, the arrow/cursor thing? When I put the items over the doll (all of the items btw, just checked again and it was not only the skirts doing it) they don't go where I put them. I have been dolling for years and know how to put a doll together correctly and how to allign the clothing to the base so please understand this is not a user-incompetance related problem. This is what it makes the clothes do when I let go of my mouse button:

Also, I just realized the double click feature isn't available on this, nor is a save button? I understand that what's meant to be done is pressing the Print Screen button on the keyboard and croping the image in Paint or other program, but more user-friendly coding has the Save feature. The double click feature will create a copy of the item clicked and automatically transfer it to the Build Area. That options also allows for creativity. For example someone has some versatile props that can be used creatively to create something else, like taking a crown and putting multiple copies of the crown across the waist to create a belt. This coding only allows single use, which limits creativity.

Another cool feature is the layers feature. Some dollmaking scripts only allow a doll to be created in the layer they have pre-determined. But if a user wants to be creative and take some hair and put it behind the doll and lower down to create longer hair they can't do that without an option to move an item Up or Down a layer.

I hope my advice and critiques are taken lightly and that they don't bother you. I know a bit of coding myself so I definately know the work that goes behind creating such things and I'm definately impressed by how much you've done on your own. :wink:

Oh and you asked about my browser? I use Internet Explorer7. I haven't had any issues with it on any dolling sites...ever. I only get issues whenever I try to upgrade the version, ESPECIALLY with TDP. :roll: I've tried downloading a second browser before (Firefox) but it and I.E. kept fighting a testosterone-filled Who's The Default Browser battle. So when I finally got tired of their bickering I deleted Firefox and just stuck with I.E.7 since I use TDP more than I use random sites that need higher versions.

Elanorea 08-14-2010 05:33 PM

This looks very neat :D. The mouse tool is working fine for me (using Firefox 3.6). Though I agree with LancasterPrincess that a double-click feature would be useful.

I'm gonna try if I can get the script to work on my site with my meagre HTML skills...

EDIT: Yup, it works :lol:. I'm probably gonna start using this for my dollmaker, it's much better than the script I have now.

Ninique 08-15-2010 10:28 AM

Lancaster Princess, that's a really strange bug. I'll try to look into it.

BTW, I actually do have a "layers" feature. Which ever prop you clicked last goes to the top so if you want to put something on top, just drag it again and replace it. Right now props can't go behind the body, but I can change that ;)

Saving is one of those things that I wanted to have since the beginning, but I just can't figure out how to do it in Javascript. Most scripts that I've seen with saving capabilities use some kind of server for compiling it, but I don't want that because I want the script to be independent from a server.

Ninique 12-10-2010 04:13 PM

I've made a new update to the script. Now it has an unobstrusive anti-right-click feature (it only prevents right-clicking on images, and puts just a small tooltip on the screen when you try to right-click. )

I also fixed the bug that LancasterPrincess was talking about. There was a part of my code that didn't work properly with IE 7, so I changed it to something that would.

Finally, I made the layer stacking a little bit more obvious. Now the props go to the front as soon as you click on them, instead of having to drag them around a bit.