Cartoon Dolls Community  - Doll forums and doll maker discussion boards

Cartoon Dolls Community - Doll forums and doll maker discussion boards (http://www.thedollpalace.com/forum/)
-   Beauty Tips (http://www.thedollpalace.com/forum/beauty-tips/)
-   -   How much perfume to wear? (http://www.thedollpalace.com/forum/beauty-tips/22110-how-much-perfume-wear.html)

PruneBlossom 02-18-2010 03:56 PM

How much perfume to wear?

I want to hear you girls opinions on this, because I don't know what's the best? How much should you wear? A few sprays, so only when someone gets really close or hugging you could smell it? Or, a lot, so you can smell it six feet away?

Cookie_Crumps 02-19-2010 09:03 AM

My opinion is 2 or 3 sprays , I think that is enough . If you want the smell to be strong use 1 or 2 sprays of STRONG smell perfumes :)

angel_deceiver 02-19-2010 03:36 PM

only put on dabs of strong perfumes and only in your "heat spots" like your wrists and neck

Silver_Wolf_Kitty 02-19-2010 05:29 PM

Angel has that right. Dabs are better in my opinion since spraying and all that nonsense is overwhelming. I get awful headaches from people who choose to do several sprays instead of dabbing.

As for elaborating on the appropriate dabbing amounts, general a tiny bit on each wrist and I usually put a little underneath one ear on my neck. It still smells nice, but doesn't make you go all gag crazy.

Silent_Wolf 02-19-2010 05:31 PM

The subtler perfumes - well, weaker ones, I mean, not subtler - sometimes you can really spritz it on. But others, like those with more pungent overtones, need to be dealt with very lightly and in short, quick sprays. Like Reese Witherspoon's "In Bloom;" initially starts out light but becomes extremely overbearing if heavily used. I just do one spritz around my head and one short spray each on my arms. Cheapy perfumes, like the generic store-name ones, can probably be sprayed to kingdom come and you'll still never smell them, but remember: With perfumes of any sort, LESS is MORE! ^_^

Also, as Kitty said, daubing can be better if you're out in public. But if you're at home, you may spray perfume - just do it in your room and not say in the bathroom where it may linger for awhile.

angel_deceiver 02-19-2010 05:59 PM

dabbing also saves your favorite scent for much longer.

LancasterPrincess 02-19-2010 06:03 PM

I use Bath & Body Works sparys and perfumes. I start in jeans and a bra. First I spray the body spray on my body (no! really?!) 4 is about as many sprays as I do. 1 for each shoulder, my belly and pelvis region (on the jeans)and occasionally 1 in the hair. I tend to do long-shots for body sprays, keeping it to a 'light dusting' Most of the spray ends up on the floor or to my cat's distaste in the air xD Afterwards I put on my shirt an then take the coordinating perfume and spray once on my neckline and once on my left wrist then I rub my wrists together.

It seems like a lot, and at first it is. But once I walk outside it's the perfect amount for me. I've never been told I use too much, just that I smell good. The only time it was ever complained about was when my SIL was first pregnant. But since she was pregnant she had an extra-sensitive sense of smell at the time.

When using oil based perfumes, like my Tiffany's, I only use 2 sprays. One for the neckline of my shirt (so it gets on both skin and shirt at the same time) and one on my left wrist which then gets rubbed with my right.

I don't much like to dab. That's when I put too much. I put a dab on my neck and wrist (then rub) and it makes me sick.

Silent_Wolf 02-19-2010 06:07 PM

Don't rub your wrists! It bruises the perfume and makes it smell different.

LancasterPrincess 02-19-2010 06:21 PM

I don't believe I've ever heard that notion before. Forgive me, but isn't rubbing and dabbing going to cause the same reaction if indeed there actually is a reaction? I see nothing different with the skin of your finger to wrist and wrist to wrist making contact with each other?

Silver_Wolf_Kitty 02-19-2010 07:00 PM

I've truthfully never heard that either and my mom makes perfume. I'll admit I could be oblivious like usual, but I can't see much issue with gentle rubbing either way(I always rub mine together since I like to put a little on one wrist, then rub so as to prevent overwhelming smells). I'll test that tomorrow though to see if there is a difference with oil-based perfumes.

You should shake up any perfume before you use it though to make sure everything is mixed together(since some bases, especially oils, separate). That one is an important step that I forgot to mention.