Add to Favorites  

Cartoon Dolls Community  - Doll forums and doll maker discussion boards Cartoon Dolls Community  - Doll forums and doll maker discussion boards Visit The Doll Palace - Where Cartoon Dolls Live

Beauty & Fashion Cosmetics, makeover techniques, latest styles and fashion trends.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
(#1 (permalink))
Old
LancasterPrincess (Offline)
TDP Greeter
Hand Drawn

Zodiac Sign: Virgo
Rating: 7 Votes / 4.86 Average
Default QUESTIONS: Rimmel London Commercial - 05-02-2014, 12:14 AM

Hi, I'm back from the pregnancy abyss to ask y'all something. I don't watch much TV, so maybe this has been a thing for Rimmel London makeup, but I saw a commercial that really irritated me. The actress had a VERY difined gap in her teeth. I can only guess it was a play on their slogan "The London Look" and I found it incredibly wrong?! It was like, blackface, but with UK people. I know there are people on here from over the pond (I'm American). I saw another commercial of a Canadian drinking syrup like it was a whiskey bottle and was disgusted by that too. I guess my question is, is this offensive to you guys? Or is it a good natured joke that's just over my 9month overly emotional head??

I guess my second question stems from extreme curiosity. If we're (Americans) making fun of other countries blatantly in commercials, are Americans being stereotyped in y'all's commercials too? If so...what do we look like to y'all?

Please have a look at my Shop!
Help a girl out, keep me in mind, and share link with your friends and parents!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
(#2 (permalink))
Old
Miranda_ (Offline)
Forums Administrator
Site Admin

Rating: 46 Votes / 5.00 Average
Default 05-02-2014, 11:03 AM

Well, I find it annoying that British people are sterotyped as having bad teeth, especially as some of the worst teeth I've ever seen are on gap toothed American hillbillies! Pot, meet kettle. XD The worst thing tho is Americans who think that Britain is just England, or that all English people are polite. Yeah, right!

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
(#3 (permalink))
Old
LancasterPrincess (Offline)
TDP Greeter
Hand Drawn

Rating: 7 Votes / 4.86 Average
Default 05-02-2014, 11:59 AM

We have stereotyped ourselves based on states. Down in Alabama are the gap-toothed hillbillies you speak of. In Tennessee I was sure EVERYONE would be dressed in cowboy attire and that there'd be mostly farm lands. In California it's pretty spot on. Everyone dresses in surfer/pop culture attire and are "go with the flow". I'd have never guessed that New York had farms or small towns, but when I visited I was QUITE surprised. It's bizzare that we just believe what TV tells us. I'm not innocent in that. As I said, I was quite surprised with Tennessee when I moved here...and a little disappointed that my then boyfriend, later to be husband didn't dress and act like a country raised cowboy, lol.

Please have a look at my Shop!
Help a girl out, keep me in mind, and share link with your friends and parents!
(#4 (permalink))
Old
TheHayleyDoll (Online)
Forums Moderator

Zodiac Sign: Taurus
Rating: 46 Votes / 4.30 Average
Default 05-02-2014, 03:11 PM

Meh, I don't find any stereotype annoying. Most Canadians don't care much either. We are well aware of how we're portrayed in American TV and movies because 95% of what we watch is produced in America. Canada doesn't have a very big entertainment scene of our own.

The Rimmel commercial is English supermodel Kate Moss, and she happens to have a gap tooth. I don't think anything else of it. It's "the London look" and she was actually born in the London area. If it was an American model with a gap, I might find that questionable. Otherwise, no. It's simple marketing - they used a model from London for a London-esque campaign. Yes though, I agree the British get stereotyped for bad teeth which isn't always true.

As for Canadian's drinking maple syrup like alcohol... We like maple syrup and we like alcohol, so I don't see the problem. xD Nah, we Canadians like to make fun of ourselves from time to time. As long as it's all in good fun, we have a good laugh at it too. I find Canadian jokes hilarious. People who can't laugh at themselves from time to time are too serious.

As for how we stereotype America. The biggest one is that they don't know anything about the rest of the world.
(#5 (permalink))
Old
fabulous_doller24 (Offline)
Silent

Rating: Not Rated
Default 05-06-2014, 07:16 PM

That's Georgia May Jagger. I don't know if it's intentional or not but that's bad if it is. "Get the London look" is aimed at the fact that the makeup is supposed to reflect the looks found on the streets of London. Lily Cole has also modeled for Rimmel. I mean if that IS what they're trying to portray that's pretty sad.

(#6 (permalink))
Old
TheHayleyDoll (Online)
Forums Moderator

Zodiac Sign: Taurus
Rating: 46 Votes / 4.30 Average
Default 05-07-2014, 10:23 AM

Really? It used to be Kate Moss. I haven't seen it since then. But still, same thing I said because she's an English model with a natural gap tooth - which, by the way, is very high fashion.

I still don't see it as intentional. They sign English models. They don't give models a gap tooth, they already have one. The gap = high fashion "Vogue". 99 of 100 people probably don't read that far into that commercial. I never did.

Honestly, I think people are too sensitive nowadays. I think the more we point out those kinds of things, the more separatist we make ourselves as human beings. I'm not saying that discrimination is okay, but harmful advertisements or silly TV jokes? Embrace your culture. Yeah, us Canadians are a bunch of super-polite beer loving hockey fanatics that talk funny and live in igloos. Obviously stereotypical and untrue, but I don't see it as harmful.

Less with the advertisement and more with jokes... it's meant to be funny! Everyone should be able to laugh at themselves, and people who can't should loosen up a little. It's humour. I'm part Polish, do the "dumb Polish" jokes bother me? No, because I don't associate everyone from Poland as stupid. That's what you should teach your child. That those jokes are generalizations and not everyone is like that, but that everyone (and every culture) has their little quirks and it's healthy to laugh at them. =P

Last edited by TheHayleyDoll : 05-07-2014 at 10:34 AM.