Add to Favorites  

Cartoon Dolls Community  - Doll forums and doll maker discussion boards Cartoon Dolls Community  - Doll forums and doll maker discussion boards Visit The Doll Palace - Where Cartoon Dolls Live

Beauty & Fashion Cosmetics, makeover techniques, latest styles and fashion trends.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Miranda_ (Offline)
Forums Administrator
Site Admin

Rating: 46 Votes / 5.00 Average
Default Summer beauty disasters and how to avoid them - 08-09-2012, 09:15 AM

This is a list of common problems connected with summer, and how to avoid them happening to you.

1. Melting Makeup.
The summer sun can melt your makeup right off your face. Make sure you use the right products; don't use anything oil based. Minimise your makeup; just stick with a powder base, mascara and tinted lip balm. If you use eyeshadow, use a powder one rather than a cream one and don't be too heavy handed. If you're going to be swimming, it's best not to wear makeup anyway as even waterproof makeup can smudge after being splashed.

2. Orange Hands And Streaked Legs.
One problem with applying a fake tan is that you can end up with orange hands, elbows and knees, and streaked legs and arms. Wear gloves whenever you apply your fake tan to avoid orange palms, and always exfoliate and moisturise before you apply it. Also, don't be heavyhanded with the fake tan; apply a light coat for a sunkissed as opposed to orange look. Oh yeah, and don't be heavy handed with the blusher, either; and always blend it so you don't end up with a tanned face and white neck.

3. Nasty Feet.
Ideally, you should always take care of your feet all year round. However, if you've neglected your feet over the winter, you can sort them out for sandal season by giving them a going over with a pumice stone or foot buffer, and then moisturising up to the ankles. To deal with really dry feet, cover in foot moisturiser, then put on a pair of socks and go to bed. Overnight, your feet will absorb all the moisturiser and be soft in the morning. Make sure you cut your toenails properly; straight accross, and soften with an emery board, or you might get an ingrowing toenail.

4. Split Ends And Bad Hair Days.
Sun, chlorine and sea water can be devastating to your hair. Always make sure that you get your hair trimmed regularly, like every six weeks, to fix split ends. To prevent them, wash your hair with a shampoo suited to your hair type, and always use conditioner. You can rub hair serum into the ends of your hair if they're feeling dry, just don't use too much or your hair will feel greasy. Wear a hat if you're out in the sun, and wash your hair right after swimming.

5. Sunburn And Flaky Legs.
If you go out in the sun, always wear sunscreen. Factor 30 is best if you're pale skinned and don't tan, but burn. Reapply it every hour or so, especially if you just got out the water, and always rub it in. If you notice your legs are getting a bit flaky, then use a body scrub all over, and moisturise. Skin on your body will get dry if you're constantly out in the sun, so as well as making sure you're protected from sunburn, you will have to moisturise more often to avoid flaky shins and dry calves.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
(#2 (permalink))
Old
belladoggy (Offline)
Hand Drawn

Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Rating: 2 Votes / 5.00 Average
Default 08-09-2012, 11:05 AM

Lol, my usual SPF is between 80 or 100+. I. Do. Not. Tan. Gota love that super Irish skin of mine

What should we do if we can't afford to get a haircut every six weeks? (Starving college student here, haha)

Av/Sig set: Lovie
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!
(#3 (permalink))
Old
Miranda_ (Offline)
Forums Administrator
Site Admin

Default 08-09-2012, 11:12 AM

You could trim the split ends yourself, but do it carefully and in front of a mirror. Get a friend to do the back of your head, and don't cut off too much hair. Remember; you can always cut off more if you have to, but you can't stick your hair back on if you cut off too much.

Also, I never heard of 100; is there different SPF rating where you are? In any case, it's been proven that higher SPF ratings don't do much: Is higher SPF in sunblocks better? - Viva Woman That's why you're better off sticking to the shade and wearing hats and covers rather than plastering on the suncream and standing in the sun.

(#4 (permalink))
Old
belladoggy (Offline)
Hand Drawn

Default 08-09-2012, 11:29 AM

Well, I buy sunscreen for when I'm out in the sun all day, such as when I'm at the beach, or when I have band camp. I still war visors/hats/sunglasses, but in those conditions, I'm not really able to be in the shade. I have heard higher SPFs don't matter, but I'm not comfortable with only 30. I am convinced I would still burn since, especially at band camp, I would never get a chance to reapply. And we spend hour out in the sun in the middle of the day. What brand of sunscreen do you use? I prefer Neutrogena because it goes on light and doesn't feel super greasy, plus it has that UVA and UVB protection.

(#5 (permalink))
Old
TheHayleyDoll (Offline)
Forums Moderator

Zodiac Sign: Taurus
Rating: 46 Votes / 4.30 Average
Default 08-09-2012, 02:29 PM

I use a moisturizer with SPF 15. When I burn, it's my nose and shoulders, so sometimes I put extra sunscreen there. I've never heard of 80-100 SPF either. HOLY, that is a high SPF. xD I also LOVE hats. They are my best friends. I'm a huge fan of baseball caps. ^_^

Cutting you own hair = huge money saver. I dye and cut my own hair 90% of the time, and the other 10%, I get a friend to help. I haven't spent money getting it cut in at least half a dozen years. I'm weird though, so if I mess up I just go with it anyway - which is why I tend to have slightly crazy looking hair.

Worst thing about summer here, is the humidity is ridiculously high all season. I have naturally thick wavy hair, which does not respond well to humidity. Spend too much time outside and my hair looks like a ball of frizz! >_< Solution? Hats, and/or anti-frizz products. They at least help a little.
(#6 (permalink))
Old
belladoggy (Offline)
Hand Drawn

Default 08-09-2012, 03:10 PM

Ugh, my hair is the exact same way. And naturally dark brown so it gets really, really warm and uncomfortable under it. I went camping last weekend and it just did a number.

(#7 (permalink))
Old
Catlover642 (Offline)
Hand Drawn

Zodiac Sign: Leo
Rating: 11 Votes / 4.09 Average
Default 08-12-2012, 01:50 AM

A tip from my own personal disaster: Apply sunscreen to your forehead before going into the heat. This should be a given, but we went to a ball game during the beginning of June (very hot in Texas) and I applied the sunscreen during the game, as I didn't have time to back at my house. Well, my sweat caused the unabsorbed sunscreen to get into my eye, which made it extremely irritated. Not a good way to spend the ball game.

(#8 (permalink))
Old
Miranda_ (Offline)
Forums Administrator
Site Admin

Default 08-12-2012, 07:40 AM

The sunscreen I use is a spray; it's ten times easier to apply than a cream, and much easier to rub in. If you're travelling in a car or on public transport to go to the beach, for example, apply it on the way so you don't have to waste time putting it on when you get there.

A lot of lipbalms have SPF, like Chapstick. I remember this girl on holiday who didn't put any suncream on her face at all; her lips were so puffed out, she looked as tho she'd had a bo'tched lip job. XD

(#9 (permalink))
Old
NotYourPrincess (Offline)
Shuni

Zodiac Sign: Scorpio
Rating: 7 Votes / 4.29 Average
Send a message via AIM to NotYourPrincess Send a message via MSN to NotYourPrincess
Default 09-16-2012, 06:09 PM

You forgot green hair, for those blondes out there! This happened to me this summer and I don't even bleach/color my hair anymore.

Nothing you can really do to prevent it. Tomato paste works great for getting it out! though, it smells weird.

If I treated you bad, you'd bruise my face. Couldn't love you more you got a beautiful taste. Don't let the days go by...glycerine.