(#368 (permalink))
Old
TheHayleyDoll (Offline)
Forums Moderator

Zodiac Sign: Taurus
Rating: 46 Votes / 4.30 Average
Default 08-24-2013, 05:52 PM

You said you wanted CC? Here it goes... xD

The shading on the clothing is exactly why I don't dither often. It's an advanced technique and, unless the palette is perfect, it tends to look awkward - even for myself, it often causes shading to look pillowy (even if the shading itself isn't pillowy, it gives an odd effect).

The hair is very... big. Like, Diana Ross kind of big. I'd thin it out a little bit. I also noticed, close up on the doll, your "main shade" isn't the middle shade. (In terms or dark-light), instead of outline-shadow-main-highlight-highlight2, you did outline-shadow-HIGHLIGHT-main-highlight2. The second highlight should always be lighter than the 'main-colour'. I gave a close up of this below.

As you can see, your mid colour is too grey. It should be darker than your highlight colour.

I changed ZERO shading, and other than the hair, I didn't change any outline either. I thinned the hair out (used the eraser tool to thin the hair, didn't touch the shading inside) and changed the palette to a darker black (with blue highlights). So, as you can see, the shading itself is fine but because of the dithering, you have to be even more careful with the palette than usual.

Much like I said with Bella, palettes are super important. I am not exaggerating when I say it takes me about an hour just for palette/colour changes when I'm pixelling. Even when using other palettes, whether or not it looks good depends on your own shading style. What works for me, may not work for you, and vice-versa. I'm currently working on a palette-making tutorial - it should he done soon.

Hopefully that helps! =) In summary, be careful when you dither, work really hard on editing your palettes, and slim down the hair. ^_^
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!