View Single Post
(#10 (permalink))
Old
Miranda_ (Offline)
Forums Administrator
Site Admin

Rating: 46 Votes / 5.00 Average
Default 12-16-2012, 09:21 AM

I agree with Hayley. As everyone here knows, I live in England. Here are some compariable stats:

Last year, thirty nine people were killed with guns in the entire United Kingdom.

Every day, one hundred and eighty five people are killed with guns in America.

Some people might say, "Oh, the UK is smaller so that doesn't mean anything," but percentage wise, the rate of gun killings is still smaller in the UK than in the US. In London, for example, gangs of thugs knife or baseball bat each other, rather than use guns.

The biggest and most famous school shooting in the UK is Dunblane. There's also been killings where a nutjob has gone rampant with a gun, ie Derrick Bird or the Hungerford massacre. But compared to the US, where school shootings and mass murder by a lone gunmen seem to take place every few months... that's a big difference, and the stark truth is that the reason why we Brits don't have them so often is cuz we have gun control.

The US Constitution states a right to bear arms, not to own them. Also, the days when every single person needed to own a gun in case of native attack or a bear coming in thru your door are over. There's also, in case people hadn't noticed, a far vaster population in America than in the days when the Constitution was relevant. So I really don't see why every single American needs to own a battery of guns.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!