View Single Post
(#1 (permalink))
Old
TheHayleyDoll (Offline)
Forums Moderator

Zodiac Sign: Taurus
Rating: 46 Votes / 4.30 Average
Default Do You Wear Shoes Indoors? - 09-01-2012, 04:18 PM

Although it has to do with shoes, it has nothing to do with fashion so I feel like this should be in general discussion.

I hate shoes. If I had the choice, I would never wear them. One summer, on a vacation to my cottage, I didn't notice that I had forgotten shoes until I got there! Yes, I had left the house barefoot, got in the car barefoot, and actually walked from the car into my cottage... barefoot. I love taking off my shoes during long car trips, so I just assumed I had taken them off and put them under the seat. Luckily, my mum had brought my sandals.

This story might make less sense to some of you because I have heard that some people (most Americans) don't take off their shoes when entering a house. This is crazy to me, because every Canadian I've ever known takes off their shoes when they enter their own (or anyone else's) home. It is generally seen as rude to wear them inside without the home owner's approval (either they tell you that it is acceptable, or you have to ask permission). So, yes, Canadians do "the Asian thing". I tend to make sure I'm wearing socks when I go to someone else's home, so I'm not completely barefoot... but I hate socks too. I've also heard it is SUPER frowned upon to wear shoes in a Swedish/Norwegian home - is it the same in other European countries?

I think Canadian's do it because of the weather. During the winter, we have snow. During the Spring and Fall we get lots of rain, so it gets muddy. I think it would be rude to walk around someone's house with wet/snowy/muddy shoes. No matter how hard I stomp/wipe them off at the door, I'm sure some will remain and I'll dirty up their home. Not to mention, barefoot >>>>>>>> shoes. 1000% more comfortable.

So tell me... Do YOU wear shoes indoors, or do you take them off? Or do you take them off in YOUR home, but keep them on at a friend's? I'd love to hear your answers!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!