View Single Post
(#28 (permalink))
Old
belladoggy (Offline)
Hand Drawn

Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Rating: 2 Votes / 5.00 Average
Default 07-02-2012, 07:02 PM

(Sorry if this is grave-digging...I just never knew this topic existed before since the last post was well before I became an actives poster on the forums ^^; )

Anyway, ever since I was diagnosed with AS in like, 5th grade, (I've seen a psychiatrist/social worker since I was 6, up until very recently when we could no longer afford it), I've questioned the diagnoses. I mean, I've never NOT been able to express my emotions; I used to get made fun of for being a "crybaby". And I'm definitely WAY more obsessed with how people work (psychological) than how things work (mechanical). Although perhaps the brain could be considered a "thing"...by dream area of study is neuroscience. Because brains are the coolest organs ever. I want to study how electrical signals become perception and coherent thoughts...anyway. Tangents. Sorry.

At the same time, I do exhibit some tell-tale signs: I can memorize things REALLY quickly. Like, within a few days quickly. And I've always had an, ahem, larger than average vocabulary, to the point where classmates used to ask me why I didn't use "normal" words...but the words were normal to me. And I'm incredibly literal. So much so that it can be hard for me to pick up on sarcasm occasionally. For instance, when I was four, my dad told me to hurry up and put my pants on. I told him that they weren't pants, they were jeans, and he told me to stop being so literal. My amazing comeback? "I'm not literal; I'm big!" When I was in school, I used to need to excuse myself if things got too stressful...I was allowed to keep a stress ball on my desk and get a drink if I felt myself going crazy.

I'm not quite that out-of-control anymore, though being able to afford my medication might help mellow me out to , err, normal levels of stress.

There are definitely a few kids that I've met who are very clearly AS or some other form of high functioning autism, but they fit the diagnostic bill a bit more than myself. I wonder if they ever realized I've been diagnosed with it? I also wonder if maybe I grew out of it...speech and theater kind of forces you to learn how to work with people, you know?

Av/Sig set: Lovie
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!