View Single Post
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Miranda_ (Offline)
Forums Administrator
Site Admin

Rating: 46 Votes / 5.00 Average
Default Four of the worst children's books ever - 07-02-2012, 07:46 AM

This topic is to describe the utter creepiness of certain children's books, that are obviously designed to terrify children. Feel free to google these titles in order to scare yourself to death. In no particular order:

1. Love You Forever. Ugh. This book is the most creeptastic book I've ever read; it's supposed to signify a mother's undying love, but to me it was an example of a weird stalker mother who very likely brought up a serial killer by her obsessive love. I bet he never married, either; she sounds like the mother in law from hell.

2. The Giving Tree. When I first read this, after finding a copy at school, I thought that the point of the story was that once a parent gets too old, their child has to kill them. The tree basically sacrifices everything to her ungrateful brat, and he still wants to chop her down. Talk about unhealthy relationships.

3. Alfie's Home. Never read this as a child, thank goodness. It's just completely awful, and if any book should be burned on a bonfire, it should be this one. The weird uncle gets away with his crimes, and Alfie gets to be pressganged into believing that he's abnormal and has to be cured. This book is often in lists of this kind.

4. Latawnya The Naughty Horse Learns To Say No To Drugs. My Little Pony, this is not. Taking aside the fact that horses can't hold cigs and bottles with their hooves, it's kinda disturbing to even think of horses smoking drugs. What was the author thinking?! Even reading this as an adult, I thought this was terrible. I can't even imagine reading it to a child.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!