View Single Post
(#11 (permalink))
Old
Miranda_ (Offline)
Forums Administrator
Site Admin

Rating: 46 Votes / 5.00 Average
Default 03-27-2012, 07:06 PM

I don't see why smoking has to be banned in public places; as long as it's outside, then fine cuz no-one owns the outside. Lots of people do things outside that other people don't like; for example, spitting, swearing, exposing parts of their body (ie muffin tops and builder's cleavages), emitting noxious fumes (body odour or strong perfume/aftershave), allowing children to shriek, flipping gum on to the floor etc etc. However, you don't see the moral majority cry to ban all those.

You might say, "Yes, but they don't damage health", well, spitting does. There actually used to be a law against it in England cuz TB (tuberculosis) was prevalent and spitting helped spread the disease. While TB is under control now, I still find spitting to be repellant, personally. And if you click the link I provided in a previous post, you'll find that the idea that passive smoking is incredibly damaging to health is in fact a myth; you'd only get health damage if you say were the wife of a man who continually smoked around you. Just walking past someone smoking on the street and catching a whiff won't do you any harm.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!