(#10 (permalink))
Old
TheHayleyDoll (Offline)
Forums Moderator

Zodiac Sign: Taurus
Rating: 46 Votes / 4.30 Average
Default 03-27-2012, 07:42 PM

Thanks for the post, bella. =)

The other day I was standing inside a bus stop shelter, which has painted right on it "no smoking" repeated all the way around it. However, these two boys came in because it was cold and the one asked if it was okay if he smoked in here. I actually wasn't sure how to respond, but I jumbled together a "yeah, uh, sure...?" I wasn't sure that was the right answer after I heard his friend say, "Why'd you even ask her?" in a super smug way that told me they weren't going to stop anyway. An older lady then walked in and he asked her as well, to which she said, "No, I'm sorry." They huffed off, seemingly upset and thinking the lady was a prude for saying so.

It was a NON smoking zone, but they didn't care.

I do realize though, this is not ALL smokers. For every smoker who acts this way, I know there are more than a few who would have been respectful and stayed outside (unless the shelter was empty).

Bella did mention a huge problem with smoking bans - being able to enforce such a ban at all. Unless the government is very strict, it won't work. Kind of like smoking marijuana where I live, or underage smoking and drinking. The government is very lax on these illegal activities, making the laws completely useless. I happened to be walking in a park when I noticed a bunch of teenagers smoking pot being confronted by police. Only one was arrested - the one who gave them the drugs. The drug use itself wasn't a big deal.

If smoking was to be banned in public places, it would just be another one of those pointless laws. Too many people do it to simply be able to enforce it.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!