View Single Post
(#5 (permalink))
Old
Miranda_ (Offline)
Forums Administrator
Site Admin

Rating: 46 Votes / 5.00 Average
Default 03-21-2012, 07:59 AM

What happens when something YOU do is made against the law? Then what? Smoking bans are basically the start of a nanny state, the start of the government insisting that it's their right to poke their noses into everything we do.

I smoke. I enjoy smoking, and all my friends do. While I don't mind sitting outside to smoke; I rode a motorbike for years and got used to freezing to death so don't really care about weather conditions, I find that a lot of nonsmokers exaggerate their so called "sensitivity" and therefore erode sympathy.

For example, once in the park a woman plonked herself down next to me and started whining about the smoke from my cigarette. I told her that she chose to sit next to me, when there was at least two empty benches so she could put up with the smoke or shut up. Then there's the people who fake cough and pretend they have asthma. My cousin has asthma so I know what an asthma attack sounds like, and it doesn't sound like a dainty cough.

Smoking bans should be up to the restaurant or pub owner. If anything causes problems as per smoke, it's the amount of cars and other vehicles that are on the roads. Walking by the side of the road, riding a bicycle or motorbike will cause you to breathe in far more dangerous fumes than you'd get from a whiff of cigarette smoke.

Smoking and Your Health | Your Doctor's Orders

It's ironic really; the government keep on raising the price of cigarettes, but they would hate it if everyone suddenly quit; for one thing, the NHS would be out of pocket as it's tax from cigarettes which helps keep it afloat. What costs the NHS the most money is the elderly and the obese. Why not stop demonising smokers and start on the lardy who for whatever reason can't take their heads out the trough?

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!