View Single Post
(#525 (permalink))
Old
spirit_queen (Offline)
Forums Moderator

Rating: 4 Votes / 4.75 Average
Default 08-22-2011, 05:13 PM

Arthur looked a mix of glum and livid, which was an odd mix, indeed. When people began to filter away, chattering excitedly about the upcoming events, Arthur said. "Can you explain now, fath- I man, Lord Ector?"

Ector looked immensely sad. "Arthur, to me, it doesn't matter that I am not your biological father... I raised you as my own..."

"But why? Did Uther not want me?"

"No, no... it goes like this... about seventeen years ago, King Uther... had an affair. As far as I'm aware, your birth mother is still living... but she couldn't keep you, she was married to another. She sent you here, to the king, who originally intended to raise you as his heir. Now I'm a little behind on the details, but supposedly Merlin thought it be best you be raised away form palace life and the complications of politics..."

"But what about mo- I mean, your first wife? She definitely had a baby; kay even remembers her being pregnant," Arthur protested.

Ector smiled ruefully. "I was getting to that... it's actually what made me the number one candidate as your foster father... As you pointed out, my second wife was pregnant, but when she had the baby, it was stillborn. She was, of course, devastated... coincidentally, the king came himself at that point to meet with some people on his list of potential foster fathers for you. Thus, he found out about our situation, and offered you to us... we could have said no, for the king didn't want you to be raised by someone unwilling to take you. My wife, her face still red from teas, said yes; she wanted a baby, Arthur. To her mind form that moment on, you were hers; it's a shame she didn't live to see you grow up into a young man."

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!