View Single Post
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Miranda_ (Offline)
Forums Administrator
Site Admin

Rating: 46 Votes / 5.00 Average
Default Amy Winehouse found dead - 07-23-2011, 06:53 PM

Troubled singer Amy Winehouse died yesterday of a suspected drug overdose at her London home.

The 27-year-old star, who had fought a long and well-publicised battle with drink and drug addiction, was pronounced dead after police were called to her £2.5 million three-storey home in North London.

Her untimely death follows a long list of musicians who have all died at the age of 27, known as the 27 Club. They include rock legends Jimi Hendrix, Jim Morrison, Janis Joplin, Kurt Cobain and Rolling Stone Brian Jones.

Amy was said to be devastated and ‘inconsolable’ after being dumped by her on-off boyfriend Reg Traviss, 34, just before she checked herself into The Priory rehabilitation clinic last month.
Traviss, who had previously turned down a marriage proposal from the star, was desperate to help Amy turn her life around, say friends, but when he realised she could not beat her demons he ended the relationship.

Last night Amy’s father Mitch - who had predicted she would die if she failed to quit drink and drugs - said he was devastated but has vowed ‘not to crack up for Amy’s sake’.

The cabbie-turned-singer was on a jazz tour in New York when he heard the news. He said: ‘I’m coming home. I have to be with Amy. I can’t crack up for her sake. My family need me.’

Amy had recently completed her third album but the release date was delayed by Island Records when she went into rehab.

She bought her five-bedroom Camden home in 2009 but only moved in this May after spending £200,000 installing a recording studio and gym.

As the investigation to establish the cause of her death began, three people were seen outside the house, which is in one of London’s most expensive streets. They were Mr Traviss, her bodyguard – known only as Neville – and former Big Brother contestant Aisleyne Horgan-Wallace, 32, a long time friend of the singer, who looked distraught.

A Scotland Yard spokesman said: ‘Inquiries continue into the circumstances of the death, which at this stage is being treated as unexplained. We do have people we’re speaking to but nobody has been arrested.’

A source said: ‘A number of people were helping police with their inquiries but we are still trying to establish who was with her when she died. It’s fair to say these people are central to police enquiries in piecing together what happened before she died.’

Another police source said that the death was being treated as ‘drink and drugs-related’. A post-mortem is expected to be carried out tomorrow.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!