Forums Moderator

Zodiac Sign: Cancer
Rating: 2 Votes / 5.00 Average
Send a message via MSN to Elanorea Send a message via Skype™ to Elanorea
Default 07-20-2011, 02:59 PM

Base is from DHF, but the site's been taken down
Name: Meredith Malone
Tale Represented: The Red Shoes
Comments: Meredith is dressed up as Karen after she has her feet chopped off and is trying to go to church, but the red shoes block her way. Don't worry, the bloody feet are made of plastic. Meredith wasn't very amused when I suggested actually amputating hers . The outfit is (very loosely) inspired by some pictures of Danish national costume (since the author of the story is Danish).
Thread

Critiques
Miranda: Lovely attention to detail; I like the crutch and the Danish costume, plus the doll looks aptly sad at her feet in the red shoes barring her way to the church. One small niggle is her red lipstick; a more subtle shade would have been better, especially since she's trying to make a good impression now to make up for her earlier transgessions. The shading is great; especially on the apron, tho the hair could be a little more stranded. I love the way the red shoes are shaded, and the feet aren't too gory, either.
Score: 8/10

Kitty: I was wondering if anyone would take of the challenge presented by the Red Shoes! I must say this is an excellent representation and you made this story immediately recognizable in your doll, which isn't an easy thing to do (its one thing to doll a character, but another to basically doll a scene). As always, your technique is marvelous, the only major critique I have is the white apron and sleeve doesn't have enough contrast. It seems like a flat white board which is unfortunate because you obviously have some nice shading going on. The shoes, stockings, and scarf though were spot on, brilliant shading for them all!

I really enjoyed that you opted to take a more historical approach and modelled it after the Danish national costume to start and also had some nice muted tones for her church attendance. It contrasts nicely with the shoes, which seem really garish and terrible dancing in front of her! You have some small details here, which echoes the tale with her crutch and the Bible, showing a real ability to incorporate props without having them overwhelm. This is something everyone else should watch out for!
Score: 9/10

TOTAL SCORE: 17/20 POINTS

Last edited by Silver_Wolf_Kitty : 07-24-2011 at 12:29 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!