Rating: Not Rated
Default 07-08-2011, 07:11 PM

Base Link
Name: Ella
Fairytale Represented: Donkeyskin
Short Explanation/Comments: Ella is in the dress as bright as the sun
Link to your Thread

Critiques
Miranda: I can see that you've been practicing your shading; the hair looks a lot better than your first handdrawn dolls, tho it could do with a little more stranding, and perhaps some stray hair strands to make it look a bit more realistic. Also, the ponytail is a bit thin, and the eyebrows could be shaded to match the hair. The dress is fantastically patterned, altho the pattern doesn't really curve with the dress; it's just straight up and down. The outline could be darker; that's just my personal preference, and a bit more creasing around the waist would be good. Overall tho, it's a good doll, just needs a little more work here and there.
Score: 7/10

Kitty: To begin, your shading has significantly improved, particularly on the dress. The way you have shaded the skirt is something you should keep up for these types of dresses, which helps create the creases and folds that would occur with such a bulky skirt. The folds on the waist are spot on as well, which can be very difficult to properly achieve, so bravo! Where your shading has fallen a bit flat is in the ponytail,which really needed more highlights, particularly on her chest where it'll be a bit more uplifted and catching the light, which shading lighter there would've helped give the hair the natural, flowy look you want to aim for when shading hair. Where I encounter major shading and technique issues is with your pattern application. If you opt to not curve the pattern with your outfit, then you absolutely must shade the pattern with the dress. With such a light shade, you would want a nice contrast between the shades to help create the same shadows you have in the dress. I would suggest working more patterns into your other dolls to practice this more.

Now, for the details, I think you picked a nice shade of yellow for this dress, especially since yellow can go very wrong in dolling. Personally, I would've preferred a different dress cut. A one sleeve simply feels unrealistic to me and it could've helped you to do some research on renaissance and medieval gowns to help give you some direction with the shape. Finally, you had a real opportunity to dress this doll up, but it fell flat beyond the gown. A ponytail was too casual for me and I would've liked to see you challenge yourself with an up-do or even a basic bun variation (or a medieval veil or cap, if you are feeling really up to a challenge )! Also, some jewelry could've really helped bring you some top points. Overall, this is a good start to the competition and I'm looking forward to seeing you up your game.
Score: 6/10

TOTAL SCORE: 13/20 POINTS

NO SLEEP IN HEAVEN OR BETHLEHEM
"I feel you breathing... Everywhere...The rain, the hay... please. Please Wendela."

Last edited by Silver_Wolf_Kitty : 07-23-2011 at 11:56 PM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!