Old
Miranda_ (Offline)
Forums Administrator
Site Admin

Rating: 46 Votes / 5.00 Average
Default 07-04-2011, 10:40 AM

FAQ.

Q) What's an RPG?
A) A Role Playing Game is basically a story, where you write only what happens to your character. RPGs, or RPs, can either be in First Person (where you write everything as "I said" or "I did") or Third Person (which is "he said" and "she did"). If an RP is First Person, for example, everyone participating has to abide by that, otherwise it becomes confusing.

Q) How do I comment in an RP?
A) If you're not playing, you don't. It's rude and disrupts the RP for the players. If you're a player, you can comment simply by posting Ooc: which means Out Of Character, in front of your comment.

Q) What happens if I want to join an RP?
A) Ask the owner, ie the person who started the RP, if it's OK in a PM. Don't just jump in regardless. And certainly, if the RP is fifty pages or more, there isn't any point in joining in as you'd only get lost within it.

Q) What do I have to do to start an RP?
A) Well, for one you should find out first if anyone wants to play with you. Also, you should post the specifics; ie, whether there are restrictions on races like you want yours to be human only; whether or not anyone can join or they have to PM you and ask first; and whether or not they have to give a description of their character first. Basic character forms look like this:

Name:
Powers: (if any)
Bio:

You should also post at least two paragraphs on what the RP is about, plus an intro to set the scene.

Q) What different types of RPs are there?
A) There's loads of different themes, but for a RP newbie, just two main types. They are Scripted and Freestyle. Scripted is when the owner states what characters there are, their names etc and how the RP will go. Freestyle is when the owner specifies the plot and character restrictions, then just posts two beginning paragraphs and lets the players get on with it. Freestyle is generally preferable, as Scripted generally causes problems with players; let's face it, no-one likes to be told how their character will act; people want to choose how their character is and what happens to them. In my experience, Scripted RPs usually end in fights or they just fizzle out.

Q) I want to join a vampire RP, but it's far too long. Can I start my own vampire RP instead?
A) Yes, you can! Just try to make your RP original; don't copy other people's RPs.

Q) What's an "inactive" RP?
A) Once an RP hasn't been posted in for a length of time, it's considered inactive and locked. If you want your inactive RP reopened, just post in this thread: Inactive RPGs

Q) What happens to an RP that hasn't been posted in?
A) It will be locked, as will any RP that's dead.

Q) How big should my opening paragraph be?
A) It should be at least as big as the paragraph below. The paragraph below is from one of my RPs.

Quote:
The base of operations of the Grand Master of the cult of Assassins was eerily dark, save for a ribbon of light just visible peeping underneath a door. Inside the room, the Grand Master sat behind a desk, his greying hair brushed severely back, as he looked ahead at one of his assassins who stood in front of the desk. This assassin was a vampire, and one of the Grand Master's best, despite the various difficulties that arose.

Arkady Orlav had been turned into a vampire during his time as one of Stalin's agents. He had, after Stalin's death, been forced to flee Russia due to the fact that he had made many enemies in the government and his protection had evaporated after Stalin had died. Arkady had been chosen for the mission of assassinating the Russian leader for the basic reason that he would not stand out in the Moscow government building. He had performed the task, despite the fact that he had sworn never to return to Russia again. The chink of money had the effect of making him abandon his resolves...

Remember; you are setting the scene for the start of the RP. You need to give everyone who joins your RP an idea of how to post their own intros. For that reason, it's best to put at least one of your characters in a public setting.

Q) If the owner of an RP I'm playing on doesn't come here any more, can I assign a new RP owner?
A) Yes you can; just let me know the RP and who you now want the owner to be, and I'll edit the first post.

Q) I want to post a new RP, but the mod posted a sticky that states that no more RPs are to be posted. Why is that?
A) A rule about no more new RPs will come into force only when the forum is clogged with too many RPs. The last time I enforced a rule like that, people were complaining that their RPs were getting shoved down to the third page, which is where only usually inactive RPs end up. Therefore, the rule was posted to try and add a measure of control to the forum.

Q) I clicked on a newly posted RP to find it had conditions. What are RPs with conditions and what do the conditions mean?
A) An RP that has conditions laid down means that the owner only wants a certain type of person RPing with them. Common conditions are as follows:

a) Experienced RPers only. (sometimes followed by a list of names)
b) All people who want to join to PM the owner first.
c) RP is rated M/T/A.

I'll explain these one by one.

Experienced RPers only. This means that only RPers that the owner sees as being experienced can join, simple as that. If they don't see you as experienced, then you can't join. Don't bother PMing me moaning about this, or bugging the owner thru PM; there is nothing I can or will do about this. Just make your own or join another. The same goes for a list of experienced RPers which doesn't include you.

PM the owner first. This means that the RP owner would like to vet prospective players first before they join. Just send in a PM what the owner asks for; usually a filled out character form and a first paragraph. If they ask you to make changes before you join, then do so. Usually changes are asked for if your character is too thin, a Mary Sue or if there are too many people RPing in one group, for example an RP about humans and elves at war and there are too many players in the elf group. Again, if you are refused for any reason, don't PM me about it or harrass the owner.

RP is rated M/T/A. These ratings are, as follows, Mature/Teen/Adult. This means that if you are under 12 years old, then you can't join any; Mature and Teen are pretty much the same and mean that RPs are for 13-16s, and unless you are an Adult, then you can't join. There are no Adult RPs allowed on this site, so any RP rated Adult will be automatically locked by me. However, the other two ratings are allowed, so if you are too young to join either a Teen or Mature RP, just accept it and join another that is suitable for your age group.

Q) I want to join this RP that's under fifty pages long, but the owner says I can't! What do I do now?
A) One thing you don't do is harrass the owner by either continuously posting in the RP begging to be allowed to join, or thru PM. Harrassment is against forum rules; continued harrassment will result in a temporary ban from forums. If you are told, for whatever reason, that you can't join an RP, then just accept it.

Q) I usually RP on Quizilla/Gaia/other RPing site, and your rules are far too strict! Why can't you soften them up a bit?
A) Well, my initial response is to say that if you prefer the rules on another site, then stay there as far as RPing goes. The people who think our rules are strict are normally people who think that posting "this is a high school with powers, post your character and crush and we can start" is sufficient as plot. Believe me, it's not. Also, I've been on RP sites that have genuinely strict rules, such as only having one character per person, or having to post a giant paragraph each post, so consider yourself lucky.

Last edited by Miranda_ : 05-06-2012 at 09:50 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!