View Single Post
(#2 (permalink))
Old
belladoggy (Offline)
Hand Drawn

Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Rating: 2 Votes / 5.00 Average
Default 07-03-2011, 02:10 PM

Shannon Hale wrote an extended version of "The Goose Girl." She came and talked to my class in 6th grade...in 2005...anyway, good book, not watered down. Still gritty. Apparently, in the original version, the princess won't say she's the real princess until the prince or king or whomever tricks her into talking into an iron stove...I remember ms. hale saying that was one of the parts that made little to no sense.

Also, in the version I read of The Little Mermaid, she almost stabs the prince, but can't bring herself to do it and stabs herself instead, then is turned into sea foam. But she's turned into an angel for not committing murder.

You know what's a good version of not watered down fairy-tales? the musical "Into The Woods" by Stephen Sondheim. It includes all the nasty things that happen to Cinderella's step family. I want to say the fairy-tales in it are Cinderella, Rapunzel, Little Red Riding Hood, Jack and the Beanstalk, and something about a baker and his wife, to name a few. My mom says she hates it because it's so dark, but I loved it. The music and the story are very captivating.

Av/Sig set: Lovie
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!