Hand Drawn

Zodiac Sign: Leo
Rating: 3 Votes / 5.00 Average
Default 05-22-2011, 06:10 PM

Awww. <3 I'm fourteen and my dolls aren't all that good x'D

This is so cuute! : >

Hmmn, if you really want critique...

Okay.

When you make palette colours, try to use a variety of shades in one palette.

Most people just stick with the normal dark red -> red -> light red, but what I want to see people doing more is dark red -> orange -> light yellow.
People like to ask me how I "colour so well"; I find my colouring quite average
and the only reason why my art looks half-okay is because I use variety in my palettes. Here is an example of one of my arts (although it is tool shading rather than pixel shading, the concept is quite the same). [ x ] The darkest outline is dark purple-blue; the base colour is blue, and the lightest colour is a light-ish sea green. The hair stands out much more than a one-tone picture would. Instead of pink, try dark~ish purple -> pink -> light-ish yellow/orange.
Example of red hair I have done: [ x ]

As for hair shading, I made a portrait tutorial when I was 11 that may be of use.... ( Trust me, I can doll way better than this now xD, this was so long ago! )
Mina-chan Tutorial by ~LydiaEldafreya on deviantART

Also, look at people when you do pixel art. People have shadows beneath the hair and beneath the clothes, and the direction depends on the light source. ( There would probably be shadows underneath the strands.) Always remember to use a light source for exceptional results.

Hair also is more strandy and looks less..plastered? So try to add a few pieces of hair here and there to give it that "messy" look because no one has perfect hair unless you're wearing a wig. o.o;; Let the hair fall naturally, not in clumps : >

When you use palette colours, I see that you have 6 or 7. It's not really necessary to have 6 or 7; palettes can be done with just 4 or 5 if you dither o3o. ( But don't dither hair unless you have that ~cartoony~ style~! )

Also please remember to provide base credit. : D

But this is a very good doll >3<;; I gave up dolling and only do digital art now~! I'm glad to see some people still doll. : D

There is no one real "correct" way to doll so just keep experimenting : P
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!