View Single Post
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Cheshire1996 (Offline)
Forums Moderator

Zodiac Sign: Leo
Rating: 1 Votes / 5.00 Average
Default Video Games: Bans, Ratings and Violence - 04-28-2011, 03:42 AM

I know in Australia over the past few months, even years, there's been a lot of controversy over banning R rated video games with a few games actually being taken out of stores and being completely banned due to violence and graphic gore. The issue popped up again with the new Mortal Kombat game coming out which we will not be able to access at all over here. Selling these games is illegal and believe there is a pretty big fine if you're caught bringing them in from other countries.

A great many of the hard-core gamers are pretty upset because of course, they won't be able to get their hands on the games. Personally I can see both points of view, while if classifications are obeyed then I can see no problem with R rated games, however I can see how we don't want little kids to be exposed to this stuff either.

This has been one of the main issues and one of the original reasons Australia doesn't allow or even officially have R rated games. Although they have classifications and you have to be a certain age to buy games with higher levels of violence it's impossible to monitor who lays what once the games are bought. The risk that we'd end up with millions of four and five year olds playing games designed specifically for adults was obviously too great.

Another issue is that of games being banned by the government and then later being placed back in stores. Surely if the government wants their decision to be respected, whether R rated games are allowed or not, they need to stick with their decisions. Like I said I can understand why they don't want these games allowed but to be fair they need to make the boundaries clear. Otherwise they're walking on a very thin borderline. Of course another part of me is slightly disappointed I won't get to see what the game itself is like XD

Have a statement from Warner Bros on the issue...

'The highly anticipated video game Mortal Kombat, published by Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment (WBIE) in Australia, has been refused classification by the Australian Classification Board and will not release in Australia. We are extremely disappointed that Mortal Kombat, one of the world’s oldest and most successful video games franchises, will not be available to mature Australian gamers. WBIE would not market mature content where it is not appropriate for the audience. We understand that not all content is for every audience, but there is an audience for mature gaming content and it would make more sense to have the R18+ classification in Australia. As a member of the iGEA, WBIE is reviewing all options available at this time.'

Anyways, out of interest, what do you all think? Is the Australian Government making a bad move by disallowing games that are R rated into the country and from being sold in stores or should such games be available to buy?

Last edited by Cheshire1996 : 04-28-2011 at 03:51 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!