View Single Post
(#6 (permalink))
Old
Miranda_ (Offline)
Forums Administrator
Site Admin

Rating: 46 Votes / 5.00 Average
Default 04-11-2011, 07:08 AM

I wasn't sure where to put it; I didn't want to put it in the story section, cuz it would only be wasted there and it's really for stories only, not discussion of stories.

Anyway, I certainly agree on those points; character derailment really annoys me. If an author has warped two canons in such a way as to make them unrecognisable, then they might as well write original fiction. It is entirely possible to write two opposing characters as being in a relationship; for example, I've seen a few good Draco/Hermione fics; but it does really take a lot of work and good writing to make it seem plausible. You can't just derail the characters so that they fit together; that's just cheating.

The worst fanfics ever seem to be either Harry Potter, LOTR or Naruto, at least, that's what I've found. It does seem to be mostly women who write slash, so it's kind of worrying to find women being so hateful of their own gender when they write female characters as being bitter, jealous harpies. Sakura especially suffers from this; I've seen a lot of Naruto slashfic where she ends up either being killed horribly, or outcast from the village just cuz she doesn't support a slash relationship that doesn't make sense anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by naruto_fan
And then the whole 'said' thing. I mean, it's not annoying, but I hate when it's over done. Like when a character is mad, I'm sure theres going to be yelling, the writer can be a little creative sometimes. :/
Yeah, it can go the other way; it's a bit boring to have "he said/she said/they said" all the time in a fanfic. You just have to know when to stop with the alternative words; in an angry scene, there is going to be yelling and shouting, but in a normal scene, it's fine just to use "said" and "replied".

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!