View Single Post
(#9 (permalink))
Old
spirit_queen (Offline)
Forums Moderator

Rating: 4 Votes / 4.75 Average
Default 09-16-2010, 09:26 AM

'Course, here in the states, you don't see a lot of people on bikes bothering to wear their helmets at all. -...-

I think that things like burqas can be banned.

As for the cultures punishments, I have cousins who live in Singapore, where they still do caning. If you don't know what caning is, go look it up; you'll likely find some nice, graphic pictures to go with it. Caning is guarenteed to leave nasty scars, and even children are subject to it if the break rules. In fact, a more severe punishment for a student is to be publicly caned in front of the entire student body.

Would you suggest that this be accepted in the West? No. The idea of proposing it to any European or North American country is ludicrous.

My point is that some of the more extreme cases of things accepted in other places can't be accepted here. Burqas actually can make the wearer trip, and eliminate peripheal vision.

Granted, banning things like crosses and smaller, harmless headgear is going a little far, but banning the more extreme things seems within reason to me

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!