View Single Post
(#1 (permalink))
Old
Silver_Wolf_Kitty (Offline)
Super Moderator

Zodiac Sign: Leo
Rating: 36 Votes / 3.83 Average
Default Most Influential Musicians - 09-13-2010, 06:29 PM

Who do you guys think is the most influential musicians in music? Do you think there is one overriding important one, ones for certain genres, or that some contributed greatly to society as a whole? What is the mark of an influential musician? Great music, dancing, or is it something more?

I'm certain everyone is expecting me to say Lennon or the Beatles, so I will shock you all with my response that Elvis is one of the most influential musicians. He was out there bringing sexuality to the stage long before Madonna, who is credited with busting out sex, and I think his role in the whole sexual revolution and the music industry has largely been forgotten. You all should know the stories that his dancing was considered too scandalous for tv. I think his dancing was really a way to open the door on talks about sex and he helped make it a more acceptable topic to discuss openly.

Of course, I'm still a Lennon fangirl and I'm still going to say that his work towards world peace really was, and still is, some of the most recognized political activism. There isn't much of it today and what little there is seems more showy than anything else. Like Green Day, they are really known for their political music now, but I feel like they are only activists in name and don't actually go out there and make a difference. I compare them to Rage Against the Machine (a modern, well-known band of activists), who actually have gone out and done protests. I feel like activism has somewhat lost its footing in music.

Av & Sig Credit: Me
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!