View Single Post
(#13 (permalink))
Old
Silver_Wolf_Kitty (Offline)
Super Moderator

Zodiac Sign: Leo
Rating: 36 Votes / 3.83 Average
Default 01-22-2010, 02:17 AM

My guppies died :/ My tiny blue one went first, so I got a replacement, and now we're watching him intently since we haven't figured out why yet. After spending hours reading online, it could be anything under the sun. We thought it might be his old copper piping, but then Jay remembered that ghost shrimp don't react well to copper and it was doing fine. Our next two guesses are lack of oxygen in the water or ammonia poisoning(symptoms are similar), even though there is no sign that the ammonia has spiked or even gotten above 0 according to the strips. They also appear to have hemorrhaged, which is a symptom of high ammonia.

Its turning into quite the mystery. Our final guess is they must've either been a bad batch of fish(weakened by inbreeding) or they came with some sort of disease. None of our other fish are having a problem or showing similar symptoms(there are 9 others), which makes it even more unusual. Just waiting now to see if adding an air pump helped and for our water test tomorrow :/ If neither help, we'll have to start slowly eliminating every freshwater fish disease in the book or simply give up on the guppies. I really want them, which kills me.

Edit: After obsessive research all night, I'm dead certain it was CO2 poisoning :/ The signs that appeared similar to a hemorrhage were browning caused by excessive CO2. Hopefully with the aeration and some water changes, they will be back to normal. Not getting another guppy though until we can get this one to live.

Av & Sig Credit: Me

Last edited by Silver_Wolf_Kitty : 01-22-2010 at 03:15 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!