View Single Post
(#10 (permalink))
Old
Silver_Wolf_Kitty (Offline)
Super Moderator

Zodiac Sign: Leo
Rating: 36 Votes / 3.83 Average
Default 12-29-2009, 09:16 PM

What's interesting, actually, is I have found less racism in NYC than in my small town. I think the overexposure to different races helps people since upstate, you basically only see white folks. I can walk into a store and not see anyone who is of a different colour, literally. It doesn't matter where, I can just guarantee it. It really helps to ferment stereotypes since no one really knows better truthfully. When your only exposure is bad exposure, you aren't going to think great.

I'll admit that the few black families in my town have not given me the best of impressions, though I've always genuinely felt it was them and not some "black" culture, which I find to be a ridiculous idea. Since moving to NYC, one of my closest friends is a black fellow. Me and him talk all of the time about everything. He certainly does not fit into the stereotype... He's far from it! Taking economics classes, has a stock portfolio from my understanding, and goes to techno gigs(and tries to recruit me as well).

That's true, Delaney! We come into situations with assumptions we have learned. Its almost impossible to do away with the bad lessons we have received since they are always nagging in the back of your mind.

Av & Sig Credit: Me

Last edited by Miranda_ : 01-24-2013 at 09:36 AM.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!