View Single Post
(#315 (permalink))
Old
Silver_Wolf_Kitty (Offline)
Super Moderator

Zodiac Sign: Leo
Rating: 36 Votes / 3.83 Average
Default 12-05-2009, 07:56 PM

Hello, Taya. I just noticed you came back and updated your thread, so I figured I would give you some CC to encourage you a bit

Let's handle this piece by piece, shall we? Before you work on your next doll, you should try to ust slow down and take some time with it. I'm certain you try hard with these, but dedicating an extra hour would improve this immensely.

1. Palettes
I'm not sure why, but you don't seem to be using more than three colors? On a doll that size, you should be using around 5-6. The first color would be for outlining, the second for the beginnings of folds, third and fourth for folds, fifth as filler, and the sixth for highlights. I'd suggest trying to make some palettes using 6 colors before doing a doll. I usually just pick a color in paint, then edit it and save each color that is ten up or down in luminosity. It gets you a pretty good variation in shades.

2. Hair
I see you have strands, but your problem is basic to the palettes. Without more than 3 colours, you can't shade properly. Once you try making palettes, use your hair palette to shade. Use the first color to outline, the second to do some strands, the third to go around those strands, and so on. Also, you could work some more on the chunkyness of the hair. No ones hair looks like that. Look at your hair in the mirror. Notice how it falls along with your head. The outline should follow the outline of the base head, just like your real hair does.

3. Clothing
You chose an interesting way to shade. You should shade with the outline of the shirt basically. Also, your clothing is very chunky. I think, to start, you should outline the clothes along with the body since that's usually the best way to begin. Then, you should try to shade along with the body. It'll give you an idea of what colors should fall where.

I hope that helps

Av & Sig Credit: Me
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!