View Single Post
(#7 (permalink))
Old
TheHayleyDoll (Offline)
Forums Moderator

Zodiac Sign: Taurus
Rating: 46 Votes / 4.30 Average
Default 11-24-2009, 11:19 PM

Aaron, I'm not talking about spanking an older child anyway. That seems a little excessive. Physical discipline is a good way to teach children right from wrong, because sometimes they don't understand the wording used to reason with them, or they just don't care enough to listen. Children thing, "So what? It's just getting yelled at a little. No big deal." but if they were spanked, they would realize that what they were doing is wrong, and think about whether or not the action was worth getting smacked.

When I was growing up, like I said, I wasn't spanked. I just naturally had a gift for right and wrong, and the most "wrong" thing I did was eat food in the grocery store - and my parents would pay for it (though there was this one time in grade 4 that I pushed my brother and his head hit a little pipe-like thing and he got a concussion. o_O). My parents believed in taking things we liked away from us. It worked for a couple of times, but after that, it didn't matter much. My mother had a habit of giving in long before the punishment was supposed to be over, and even when we did have the computer/game console/telephone taken away from us, we'd just find another hobby instead. So really, it didn't teach much.

I think it really depends on the child, and spanking should be used when other methods don't work.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!