View Single Post
(#1 (permalink))
Old
TheHayleyDoll (Offline)
Forums Moderator

Zodiac Sign: Taurus
Rating: 46 Votes / 4.30 Average
Default Physical Discipline? - 11-18-2009, 09:40 PM

If you were to have a child, how would you discipline them? A lot of kids nowadays aren't getting physically disciplined (for example: spanked) by their parents after they commit a wrong. Instead, they are given "timeouts" (forced to sit in the corner) or have something taken away (eg. game console).

For some kids, this works perfectly well. I wasn't ever spanked, or even put in the corner, because I was a generally good little child. My brother, on the other hand, OH BOY... He wasn't (and still isn't) disciplined properly. I think that, maybe if he had been spanked, he would be a little more calm and wouldn't do some of the things he does (talks back, throws temper tantrums, breaks things, etc).

Don't get me wrong, I don't stand for ABUSING children (that's terrible!), but some kids need to be disciplined differently then others. We're all different people, and some respond better to certain ways of discipline then others.

In Canada, the law allows for parents (and teachers!) to use reasonable force to teach children (or students) not to do something they shouldn't do (to show them right from wrong). Of course, teachers don't ever use this (they used to hit children's hands with rulers and such), and parents are slowly not using physical measures to discipline.

What do you think? Should more children be spanked? Is spanking a child too harsh, or will it teach the kid a lesson?
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!