View Single Post
(#12 (permalink))
Old
Miranda_ (Offline)
Forums Administrator
Site Admin

Rating: 46 Votes / 5.00 Average
Default 11-10-2009, 08:04 AM

I agree with Kitty. I will give an example of a site doing likewise, thru my own experience.

I once belonged to a Kiss fan forum, where the owner was involved with the forum and often appeared on it. Everything was fine until one day, the owner stopped coming on forums. After that, there was a sharp decline in news on the mainsite, ads started appearing on forums indicating that the owner had stopped paying for it and there was a sharp decline in members, as they left for other places. I and a core few clung to the site, hoping that something would happen to make it go back to normal, but eventually, it closed down. We were left to find other places to go and talk about Kiss and other issues.

At first, we all migrated to the official Kiss site forums, but these were too strictly run and disallowed any criticism of the band, as well as banning members at the drop of a hat, sometimes even for such trivial things as disagreeing with a mod over a forum issue. So, to fix that problem, several people made new sites. Out of those new forums, a few splinter groups formed. Now, there is just one of the new forums remaining, along with three splinter groups. That is why I believe it's important to have a new forum running alongside, so to speak, TDP. Not as a replacement, but as a backup and a companion board so there won't be a huge shock. I'm certainly not leaving; just as before, I will cling to TDP for as long as I have to.

Now, about debates; I'm fine with people expressing opinions just as long as there's no personal attacks and flames going on. For example, with subjects like abortion, capital punishment, religion etc. In the past, there was a tendency to flame other people in order to try and get your point accross, as well as a refusal to read the rest of the thread and just dump in your opinion in the end. If these problems can be overcome, then hopefully we can encourage a few more debates. I belong to a debate forum where tempers fly high, but generally people manage to argue a point without resorting to personal attacks.

Finally, about members; it would help a great deal if people could bring their friends here. Never mind about the mainsite for now; we can't control any of the content or fix any problems, but what we do have is a great forum. I know the rules may seem strict, but honestly, if you just behave yourself and use common sense, I probably won't ever speak to you. XD A few minor warnings at the beginning, if someone is unsure about forums, are not going to be held against you and after a couple of weeks, can be wiped from your profile in any case. We're going to try to do some new forum events over Christmas, but it would be great if all of you could make an effort to get a few newbies here and posting.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!