View Single Post
(#11 (permalink))
Old
Silver_Wolf_Kitty (Offline)
Super Moderator

Zodiac Sign: Leo
Rating: 36 Votes / 3.83 Average
Default 10-27-2009, 07:23 PM

I think that's a bit of a stretch and is meant to scare you from drugs, which you shouldn't do anyways, but its the wrong way to teach you.

Most of the drug arrests in the US are for marijuana possession, a soft drug which actually has no long-term side effects and can help your health. Emerging research suggests it may help to prevent cancer and it is legal in quite a few countries, whose crime rates are lower than US ones. Drug usage isn't nearly as common as teachers would like you to believe, there really are only a small percentage of people arrested for drug crimes compared to the population every year, most of them only for possession, not for other crimes.

Despite what your teacher says, according to US crime statistics(depending on which one you go for), crime rates are down. Also, the usage of drugs is down. It seems on the surface they are connected, but crime is much more complicated than that. Claiming the two are connected is something someone who is not educated about crime statistics says. Yes, some crimes are done while under the influence, however, there are many causes of crime, yet few answers. People think it is biological, psychological, society, the family. You can name something and it'll be connected somehow.

The summarize, drugs are not massively connected to crime and I think your teacher is misinformed. I don't want you to think that means there aren't drug-related crimes, there are, but they are not the majority or very common.

Also, to clarify, the reason rape is connected to drugs is not because of the offender, but the usage of them. Sometimes people use drugs recreationally and are more prone to becoming a victim, sometimes the offender uses drugs to make them susceptible. The offender is usually not the one using drugs(though there are cases), its usually the victim who falls prey to a roofie or something similar. Date rapes involving drugs(other than alcohol) aren't common, acquaintance rapes are more common and involve friends or family taking advantage of the victim. That simply is more hysteria your teacher told you with the whole "drugs cause rapes" business.

I'm sorry, but this hysteria about drugs(what they really mean is pot) is ridiculous and old school. Efforts should be focused on alcohol, that is by far more dangerous and causes more deaths than drugs every year.

Av & Sig Credit: Me
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!