View Single Post
(#17 (permalink))
Old
TheHayleyDoll (Offline)
Forums Moderator

Zodiac Sign: Taurus
Rating: 46 Votes / 4.30 Average
Default 10-04-2009, 05:08 PM

I agree with Wolfie and Miranda, though. These look "pillow shaded" - a no-no in the hand drawn world. It's simply CC, not being rude. We want to help people improve.

Diagram time!!

The first is a simple doll I made a while back, as a request for antimaie. The second is that same doll using pillow shading.

Obviously, the first takes more time and effort, but it uses FOLDS and looks a lot better than the second one, mais oui?

Look over a couple more tuts, and really follow them closely in regards to how to shade folds. Pillow-shading makes clothing and hair look stiff, and unrealistic.

When you start out shading folds, they may not look incredible, but they'll look better than pillow-shading, trust me. However, the only way to improve, is to practice. My first dolls weren't terrible, but I have improve immensely since that time with a little practice and hard work - and I went through loads of tutorials. My dolls can take hours, if not longer, to get looking the way they do when I post them. So play around with folds, and you'll eventually find a style that works for you, and looks great. I have a hair and shirt tut in the Tutorial section, and Miranda had also pointed out a couple good tuts around the dolling community.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!