View Single Post
(#5 (permalink))
Old
TheHayleyDoll (Offline)
Forums Moderator

Zodiac Sign: Taurus
Rating: 46 Votes / 4.30 Average
Default 08-01-2009, 11:41 AM

I agree. They kind of act like there's a cut off age for young men between abused and abuser. If they're over 18 most of the time, people consider them the abuser, and not the abused.

I know that feeling, though, with an abusive parent. Maybe not to the extent of most, but there are times when my mother gets like that. She threw a plate at my brother one - and it could have hit him in the neck and done a lot of damage. She's also throw other stuff, like pens, books, basically anything she had with her. She's always the first to attack, even if it's just a threat of an attack, and then she always tries to put the blame on my father, or me in some cases. I'm a little headstrong, so that leads to me getting into a lot of fights with my mum, be it verbal or physical. And, of course, she's a woman so she's been told to be "mentally unstable" and is treated almost like the victim. Just yesterday, before I went to bed, I got into a fight with her. I wanted to go outside to take a breather, so I sat on the deck. She started screaming for my dad to come help, and threatened to call the cops on me and for them to take me away. So, I went inside and tried to go to my room but she wouldn't leave me alone, so I pushed her out of my room. Then she started threatening to beat the door down and before I had gotten her out of my room, it looked like she wanted to strangle me, or something. She can't remember anything that happened last night, so I do think it has something to do with mental stability (and the fact that I think she was high on sleeping pills that night), but still...

My mum has actually threatened my dad before with a knife, but she claims she was doing it for "self defense" when my dad did nothing whatsoever, except maybe make a little comment. Then this one time, I was buttering my toast with a BUTTER KNIFE, and I turned to her because she was talking to me, and she flipped out. I was like, "It's just a butter knife..." and then she went and told the rest of my family that I threatened her with a knife. o_o

Maybe people just don't want to believe that women are abusers too. In my opinion, it seems like anti-feminism when a woman doesn't get treated the same as men do. In this case it's not a good thing to be treated that way, but it should still be equal...

I'm not saying I want my mum to be in jail, because I think she is just mentally unstable, but I just don't agree with the double standard. But how are we supposed to fix it without putting cameras all over our homes? Society doesn't makes sense sometimes...

EDIT: This kind of reminds me of the Chris Brown/Rhianna thing. Maybe she had the first strike, or something. Still, I'm not saying theres an excuse for what he did to her... >.>
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!