View Single Post
(#38 (permalink))
Old
TheHayleyDoll (Offline)
Forums Moderator

Zodiac Sign: Taurus
Rating: 46 Votes / 4.30 Average
Default 03-27-2009, 03:24 PM

Jerk, California by Jonathan Friesen. It's about a young boy with Tourettes. His father died when he was just a baby, so he lives with his passive mother and abusive and rude step-dad. He didn't have any sign of Tourette Syndrome until he was about six. Up until that time, his step-dad was kind to him. Then everything changed. The main character, Sam/Jack (his original name was Jack Keegan - his step-dad changed it to Sam Carrier) blames his father for having Tourettes and claims, "The only thing he left me was the twitch." His step-dad often told him stories of how his father was an alcoholic and didn't really love his mum.

He meets this girl, and starts to fall in love with her. The book takes place after his graduation. He gets a job working for George, his girlfriend's grandfather and his biological father's best friend. Their bonding ends up sending Sam/Jack on a life changing trip to Jerk, California. On his way, he finds out the real story of his father as told by those who knew him, as well as a shocking secret about Naomi (his GF).

I actually just finished it. xD It had to be one of the best young adult novels I've heard in quite a while. and I'd recommend it. It gives you the full range of emotion from sadness, to anger, to joy, to friendship, to laughter, and everything in between. ^_^
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!