View Single Post
(#14 (permalink))
Old
Silver_Wolf_Kitty (Offline)
Super Moderator

Zodiac Sign: Leo
Rating: 36 Votes / 3.83 Average
Default 03-12-2009, 05:18 PM

I'm going to quote sections from my research. I just am too aggravated right now to explain any other way. Sorry if it flys over your head, I'm just trying to pick out some key statements from my paper. I'm considering doing my senior thesis on this.
Quote:
The truth is we have entered an age where promotions of sexual violence and an unrealistic body image are the norm, and rather than fighting against these lies, we encourage them. While we may not intentionally approve of these ideas in our day to day lives, our passive approach to them sends out the message that it’s alright to view yourself as an object of pleasure...
The Lolita Effect is defined by M. Gigi Durham as “the distorted and delusional set of myths about girls’ sexuality that circulates… in our culture… [and] works to limit, undermine, and restrict girls’ sexual progress”...
While children do not fully understand the feelings behind sexual acts or even wanting to be sexy, they do see objects as a way to accomplish the goal of being attractive and pursue it with a ferocity that is incomparable to past generations. It does not help that they are learning to take certain media myths as the truth, particularly those teaching them that “it’s imperative for girls to learn how to please boys in order to get their attention”, that sexualized violence is okay, and that they must become the perfect image of sexiness, which is even for larger girls “aerobicized and muscular, with tiny waist, taut abdomens, and trim thighs” (Durham, 2008, p. 158; 97)...
Companies are creating items for a demand that they started, such as pole dancing kits sold by Tesco, thongs from Victoria’s Secret for tweens, and scantily-clad dolls—all directed towards children.
In essence, the effect circles around the fact that the media is turning young girls into sexual objects and is encouraging sexually objectifying relationships and domestic violence. You pick up any magazine and you will see on the cover "10 ways to please your man!", but never anything on how they can please a woman. Girls have a set image(look at any CHARACTER on TV and you can see they all look the same) they have to meet and need to go through crazy methods to get there, but men don't have it as much. Girls are taught to be sexual creatures from an extremely young age(there are recorded incidents of young girls gyrating their hips to that Slave song by Britney Spears, requesting thongs at ages younger than 10, and even attempting to emulate characters, acting as if they are real people and even blending their real lives with their character lives-this is not uncommon and it is studied that children do not have fully developed brains to determine the difference between fantasy and reality!) in a way that was completely unacceptable in years past, but still are looked down upon if they act as society demands. Overall, this effect is the latest form of old gender roles, but taken to extreme heights.

I'm completely off topic, but it relates in a way.

Av & Sig Credit: Me
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!