As far as I can ascertain, the forums were founded in 2002. The oldest accounts date back to then, but the founding is obscure in my mind since I was only on fleetingly on another account then.
When I joined in late 2003, we were quite a mess. There was a lot of spam and guest posting was still allowed(and continued to be for quite a while). The board layout at the time was not this(this layout can still be see in the "Talks" section of Cliques/Clubs) and was silver in colour. There isn't much to say about that time, all of the members were quite out of control and flamed each other constantly.
The one major event of the time was the "Mod Vote". At the time, we were frustrated due to the lack of mod activity and demanded that we have a say in the decision. A group of names were proposed in a thread and those names were voted on by the members. Three member were chosen to be mods, one completely inactive, another the worst mod ever, and the final was a good mod(and close friend of mine) who had to resign. This occurred sometime in 2004. That year, sweetpea also became a mod amid much scandal due to her short time of being a member. The anger mainly came from older members who thought they were better qualified.
In 2005-2006, the majority of the second mod team began to become inactive/resign. This resulted in new mods slowly being chosen over the next couple of years and the only mods who came from that second team are dudettel and Elanorea. I came first, then Miranda, Sarah, and then Silent_Wolf and Hayley. Around that time also(probably at the beginning of 2007), the layout was changed to our current one. The new layout had updated graphics and the new profiles, with comments that we didn't have before. There had long been suggestions of an update and it resulted in this(which has been destined to become the main layout, though the change has been happening slowly). When it opened, we got a massive influx of new members who joined, then left and some of our highest numbers of members online come from that time.
In 2008, after member problems involving trolling and support's decreasing activity and interest in maintaining the forums, it was proposed that a second admin be appointed. This was Miranda and has led to some changes in positions(new mods, "Greeters" created, some promotions) and the forums(member pruning, major cleaning, etc), many of which are yet to come. At the end of 2008, we also had our first forum event ever for Christmas/the Holidays.
Over the years, we have had a few notable instances of member trouble which is worth noting.
- Fishhead: A guest who was posting when I first joined. This member was a frequent spammer for a very long time, usually nonsense stuff.
- Christy & Mina: A still confusing incident that involved a tantrum, threats of hacking the site, and trolling. Mina was later unbanned since she was dragged in as a friend and didn't play a huge role in it. Christy hasn't been unbanned yet. Occurred around the same time as Trolla.
- Trolla & her Coven: A group of older women who decided to troll the boards in early 2008 after we were "mean" to one woman's "autistic" daughter. After a few hours of frantic activity, they were finally stopped and all of them were banned for good by support.
- Tanpop & evilfairy321: After an argument in a contest thread, these two decided to troll the boards with multiple accounts. They attacked members and spammed during that time before they were finally gotten rid of several weeks later.
- Valerie: After bullying one member on another site, she was banned to protect her. Has since returned and has been causing trouble since then, though it didn't start until a few weeks after her ban.
If anyone has anything to add, please do. I've been trying to compile a decent history for a while now.