If you've just clicked on this topic, you're probably wondering what this RP is all about. Well, I'll tell you. This is a place where anyone who's progressed past the Newbies RP
can come and try out their character and learn how to RP properly with said character. I, along with the more experienced RPers, will not be joining the RP but will instead be looking in on the RP in order to instruct the players on the art of RPing. If you wish to join this RP, then you must have already posted on the Newbies RP and been given permission by myself to post here. Please don't post here unless this is the case, as this is the next step up from the Newbies RP, not the same as. Anyone who joins this RP must abide by the following rules:
1. Abide by the RPG Forum rules. They can be found here:
Before posting a new RP, Read This First!
2. Use the following form in order to present your character:
(please make it 14-16)
(Must have three min.)
(No more than three)
Please put some thought into your character. Don't just throw in three weaknesses that either don't mesh with each other or with the strengths, or don't make sense. Also, use the Bio part to describe your character, but please don't spend too much time on physical appearence as it really doesn't matter overmuch. Personality description is far more important. Flesh out your character; don't just post the bare bones. Make your character into a real person.
3. Use correct writing skills; that is, no chatspeak, 1337 or KrAzY. Also please make an effort to spell properly and use correct grammar. I understand that everyone makes mistakes occasionally, but making a post that's chock full of grammar and spelling mistakes is ridiculous. Also, don't drop the dummy if you are criticised about your character and/or posting style. Just make the changes requested; no-one is being mean, they are trying to help you.
4. Don't spam in the RP or use it to chat. If you have a question you would like to ask, then put Ooc: in front of it. Don't argue with other players. If you feel that a player is breaking rules, then PM me about it, DON'T start a flame war in the RP. Anyone found doing this will be barred from it.
5. Finally, please don't take over the RP for your own ends. The last Tutoring RP had to be locked cuz a core group of people had taken the RP over, excluding any new people who might have wanted to join. If you feel as tho you are ready to RP properly, then rather than take over the Tutoring RP, I suggest you either start your own, or join one of the open RPs. The full list of which RPs are open to new people is here: RPG Categories, Availability And Which RPs Are Open To New Members.
Anyone I see who is treating the Tutoring RP as their own personal playground will be first warned, then if they continue to disregard this rule, barred from the RP.
Here is the premis that everyone who joins this RP will RP one. This RP, like the Newbies RP, is not categorised so therefore does not have an extensive plot. But if you start your own, you will need to follow the rules laid out in the stickies.
The school of art in downtown New York City has started a new year. The new freshman are excited to have been accepted, and you are one of them. You come from around the world and from different lifestyles. This year, the students will learn dance, acting and classical music. Of course, after school activities will pop up later on. Which clique do you belong to? Do you have a career in mind? Do you devote yourself exclusively to one subject, or do you dabble? Will you find love at the school, or devote yourself to your future career? The possibilities are endless.
One more thing... Mary Sues/Gary Stus are strictly forbidden. Here's a little information about these creatures:
Mary Sue and other character atrocities.
Before we move on to Mary Sue, first let me list a few more character atrocities.
1. A thin character.
No, that does not mean a skinny character, just one that has no detail whatsoever. For example, just name, age and a power description. A character bio must contain a personality description, listing both good and bad points.
2. A character with just a picture as a description.
If you use a picture as an appearence reference, then that's fine; just remember that you must also include a paragraph on personality. I cannot stress this enough.
3. A character that doesn't interact.
There is no point whatsoever in joining an RP if you're just going to go your own sweet way and not interact with the other players.
Finally, we get on to Mary Sue. If you are unsure about whether your character is a Mary Sue or not, then PM me your character form and I will tell you. The main characteristics of a Mary Sue are listed below:
1. Pointlessly flowery description.
For example; "Her hair was golden like the sun shining on ripening wheat." Completely unnecessary.
2. Perfect in every way.
Only Mary Poppins is "practically perfect in every way." Anyone else who has no faults is a Mary Sue. Faults are things like bad temper, laziness, greed, clumsiness. NOT "she was so beautiful all the girls were jealous." X_x Also, do not list a character's strengths as "everything." They must have power or school weaknesses, cuz everyone does.
3. Being the girlf of a canon character.
This applies to RPs that are based on TV, anime, or books. Just don't. If in the canon two characters are boyf and girlf, you stick to that. You can play the girlf, but don't change her character to fit your own. Which leads us on to...
4. Makes canon characters behave out of character.
Don't do this. If you can't do this, then make an original RP instead.
5. Constantly bangs on about her tragic past.
No-one's saying you can't have a character with past tragedy, just don't have them constantly bring it up, unless it pertains to the RP. Also, your character can not be the focus of the RP, or be the main character.
If you have any questions, feel free to PM me.