View Single Post
(#26 (permalink))
Old
ButterflyBomb (Offline)
Forum Contributor

Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Rating: Not Rated
Default 09-28-2008, 11:30 AM

I think they tell the exchange students to speak english because they want them to learn it better. Most of the ones I've met can actually speak pretty well. The school is small (just over 100 students, Pre-K to 12th), so we don't have the resources to give them special classes, we just do what we can to help them when they don't understand. The rule isn't normally enforced if the teacher doesn't hear them talking to each other in their native language though, and most teachers don't even pay attention. Occasionally one of the students will remind them to speak english, but they keep doing it anyways.

I understand that they're here to learn, but their native language is something they have in common with the other exchange students, so I think they feel more comfortable. It never bothered me, but I think it bothers some of the other students (including some that speak spanish to each other, or at least used to).

I have odd tastes, you'll just have to get used to it
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!