View Single Post
(#8 (permalink))
Old
TheHayleyDoll (Offline)
Forums Moderator

Zodiac Sign: Taurus
Rating: 46 Votes / 4.30 Average
Default 07-29-2008, 05:25 PM

I know what it's like to lose an animal you've lived with basically your entire life.

Just over one year ago today, I lost my cat Tuffy. He was a 17 when he died. He lived a long time, yes. And he was older then I was. When I was just a baby, my parents put him in my crib to see what would happen (they watched, to make sure he didn't suffocate me because apparently cats do that to little babies if they aren't watched) and he jumped right out. He was always there for me when I was sick, and I swear he had a billion more lives then most cats.

He was an outdoor cat, and 17 is a long time for them to live. He was hit by a car not one, but twice, and survived that. He fought all the time (hence his name, Tuffy). He got so sick one time that he couldn't move and just laid in one place (yes, he pooped and peed in that spot so we had to clean it up everyonce and a while. So, we all said our goodbye since we were going to put him down the next morning. He was 12 at the time. However, the next day, he came up the stairs, tail waging up in the air, with a happy spring in his step It was a miracle to me. I was crying like CRAZY. He meant so much to me.

Then, 5 years after that, he started acting funny. He didn't use his litter box, he was deaf, his fur was turning a greyish colour even though he was usually orange, lost the majority of her teeth (he only had one fang left, so when he ate, he ate on the good side of his mouth) and he was blind in one eye (and slowly losing the other too). We decided it was time for us to rid him of the pain and we put him down.

Also, in 2001 (or was it 2000?), I lost my grandma (my dad's mom). She was the most kind lady. She died of a stroke (she wasn't the thinnest person around, she was Polish and that area of Europe loves to eat. And she had diabetes). My brother and I had been over at her house for March Break and on a cold Thursday morning, she was found dead. She didn't die in her sleep though. She woke up, didn't feel so well so she didn't get out of bed, and she had the stroke then. My grandfather still regrets not waking her up earlier (she had been sleeping in my brother's room at their place with him that night) because usually, she was up around 6am. He blames himself for not realizing that something could have been wrong.

Every day that week, she would check on Shadow, their cat. She was pregnant and I was promised the pick of the litter. The kittens were born that morning, and now I have my cat Sam to remind me of my darling grandmother.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiFurl this Post!