Add to Favorites  
    

The Doll Palace Home [Where Cartoon Dolls Live]

Winter Legends and Lore @ Girl-Doll Fashion Gossip

  Winter Legends and Lore (Doll Article)

(December 22, 2008 by JeZz Send DollMail )
dress up games
cartoon doll forums
avatar chat
cartoon dolls
stories for kids
More @ TDP
» Blogs
» Forums
XML
Google Reader or Homepage
Add to My Yahoo!
Add to My MSN
Add to My AOL

We all love the various legends and myths, but winter with its shorter days and longer nights just brings out some of the best pieces of lore in my opinion. From the Abominable Snowman to Santa’s Elves – just how much is fact…and is there any fiction?

The Yeti

Formerly known as the Abominable Snowman, the Yeti is said to be a giant ape man creature that lives in the mountainous region of Tibet and Nepal. He is depicted as a large white creature with plenty of fur who walks upright and has foot prints much like a humans, but much larger. Plenty of footprints have been found over the years and many “sightings” have occurred without much offered in the way of hard evidence. The legend of the Yeti has been around for centuries, but scientists and researchers still squabble about any and all evidence as snow can melt to create odd-looking footprints and the Himalayan Brown Bear is known to walk on two legs at times. Thus far nothing has been proven.

Sasquatch

Otherwise known as Bigfoot, the Sasquatch is the North American version of the Yeti. A large, furry man roams the northern United States and Canada. He’s been seen many times by bystanders, yet his existence has not been absolutely proven. Those who claim to have seen Bigfoot report a towering humanoid over 6’10” and with dark hair covering his entire body. He has a wide brow and footprints have shown that his feet are very large, sometimes up to twenty-four inches and can have anywhere from two to six toes on a foot. He also has a very strong, foul odor about his body.

Legends of Bigfoot had existed along the western side of North America for years, possibly centuries, before they became condensed into tales of a single creature. Many of the cultures in the area had large, “wild men” of the forests causing mischief, appearing in the woods and in some cases, stealing off naughty children. To date there have been hundreds of Sasquatch sightings and an easy 80-95% are shown to be hoaxes. But that leaves at least 5% with a bit of truth behind them – maybe.

Elves

You don’t hear much about the hardworking elves any season but the winter. It can be assumed, of course, that the elves are working just as hard during the summer and fall as they do in the winter, but as I’ve never visited the North Pole, I can’t say for sure. Santa Claus, the jolliest elf of all, is in charge of the pack and he is the one who takes the sleigh and eight tiny reindeer around the world to deliver presents on Christmas Eve.

The elves, of course, are the backbone behind the gift giving and receive only a token recognition from the world and from Santa. If he were any kind of leader, he’s be collecting all those yummy cookies left by the fire and taking them back to the folks who really did the work. But judging by the crumbs left around my fireplace every year, those cookies aren’t making it anywhere but through his ho-ho-hoer.


Comments
Click to View Complete
never_more

22/Female
Arvada, CO
Posted On: December 24, 2008
BIG FOOT!!!!

I KNOW HIM!!!!

not really...I was just watching Elf, that's all. And Santa just seemed SO over used...!
Click to View Complete
hypa_happi_rea

19/Female
United Kingdom
Posted On: December 24, 2008
Nice.

(:

Miss TW
Please Sign-In to Post a Comment