If you ever take some time to look inside yourself you’ll probably realize that you have many traits to be proud of, and many things you’d still like to improve. The best way to figure out what you might like to work on in the future is to think about who inspires you and who you admire. It’s very likely the people you admire have at least one trait you would like to develop or perfect in yourself.
Just to give you an example, I’ll throw out a few figures of inspiration for me. I’m not perfect. These individuals certainly aren’t perfect. But this isn’t about perfection – it’s about admiring certain things about others and doing what you can to develop that skill yourself.My Kid Sister
- I greatly admire my little sister. I’ll admit she’s smarter than me in many ways, but I’m comfortable in my own mind. What I admire most and want to work on myself is to duplicate her efforts in the kitchen. We grew up without learning to really cook. Consequently neither one of us wielded a spatula very well – until recently. She’s decided to learn to cook properly, and has been working at it for a little while. Most impressive of all – everything she makes is yummy. I think I’ll follow in her little footsteps.My Mom
– My mother is the only one of her sisters to work in a career she enjoyed after having children. She stayed home for awhile when we were little, but when we were all ready, she went back to work and loved it. Her two sisters and her mother weren’t that interested in working outside of the home and gave her a hard time, but she never made any excuses or gave in. I admire her strength and her passion to do what she wants – regardless of critics.Oprah
– I don’t really watch her show, and I don’t know that we’d get along as friends, but I admire Oprah for powering through and over so many hurdles to become the world’s richest woman. Television never shows everything, but many people enjoy what she offers on her show and her magazine. I’m not interested in being the world’s richest woman, but I love that she gives so much of herself and her fortune back to others. And she inspires countless others to do the same. To battle against so many odds and then be gracious and warm at the top is truly inspiring.Michael Dell
– You might not realize that the Dell computers were first sold out of Michael Dell’s car. He built custom computers for a few customers and his business gradually expanded over time until today. Dell is currently known for building some of the finest computers in the world, and there is hardly a scratch on his reputation. His dedication and drive to build a business around something he loves is inspiring.Britney Spears
– She’s a very unlikely figure to make it on a list of inspiring figures, but if you look underneath the tabloid drama you see a small town girl who made it big. She messed up in a major way in front of the world, was constantly ridiculed, and finally sought help when she needed it the most. Now she’s working hard to recover despite still being in the world’s eye and is putting the pieces of her life back in place – all for herself and her two little boys.
Music, lifestyle and marriages aside, I admire Britney simply because she is strong enough to completely break down publicly and rebuild herself with us as an audience. I could only hope to be that strong if my mess were global gossip.